no brake lights can't get out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt

Reaction score
I just had my 2000 Discovery II serviced. I drove home and now cannot get out of park. I pulled the cover off at the shifter and pressed in the selinoid. Just to get to the store. However, I still have no brake lights. I also checked the fuse and it is OK. Could it be the brake switch at the pedal? What else could it be? I just out all new tires, shocks, springs, dampner and alternator on the vehicle. Could service have done something whe nthey checked the charging system? Maybe it is just a coincedence?

1sparrow

Reaction score
Hi Kurt
It is your brake light switch. Two sided switch Brake & trans. lock. Located under dash on brake pedal . There are two switches the one with the vacuum line is you cruse control. Pop it open and jump it with a paper clip or small wire. Only 12v if I remember rt. side is trans. lock. If not brake light will come on do the other side. Jump and take out of park and connect plug for brake lights. Do go in park again until you can replace switch. Got mine at Auto Zone $30. or so.

PS Just reread your post no brake lights either the switch must be total loss , just two sided point contacts. Real low tech.

Where are you JOEY

Dennis

Last edited:

Kurt

Reaction score
Medina Ohio! I pulled the switch already. Tried to croos the wires. still could not get it to work. I will pick up a switch in the morning at the akron dealer. If they have it. I ope this fixes it.

Reaction score
Pull straight up on the gear selector stalk, pop it off and prise up the gear selector panel - inside you'll see the park/brake lockout switch thing-a-ma-jig. Depress the rod/button with a screwdriver and disengage from park.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check for voltage at the brake switch first. If no voltage, then the switch may be good. Just because it is the most likely issue doesn't mean it is always the problem. Although I would bet on the brake switch.

Check voltage it/voltage out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635