No Dipstick or I'm a Dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landmark

Reaction score
So the other day i thought i would give a quick check of the oil to see how things were. I popped the hood and low and behold, i couldn''t find the stick. I thought to myself, Am i just being a *****? Do i really have to read the manual.

Well i did. It appears that you can only check electronically. which by the way is a pain in the rear to do based on the instructions.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well come to the 21st century. Engine design have come a long way. Did you know that your LR4 engine's oil change interval is 15K miles? I wouldn't be surprised if next generation LR4 or LR5 has a 20K mile oil change interval. Heck, sealed for life design might not be out of question in the feature. Between the oil change, technically you shouldn't need to check the oil level or color. In case if engine detect drop in oil level, it will warn you before you even need to check it. So don't worry about the oil. Forget about it.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think the instructions were too bad. One day when driving, I thought I would go through the menus and check the level. Funny, you can't check the level while the engine is running. That makes perfect sense to me now, but at first I was frustrated becuase I couldn't find the menu option to check it.

It still amazes me that the first interval is 1 year or 15,000 miles.

Rob

Landmark

Reaction score
I hear you. I just thought it was a pain to have to wait 10 minutes after engine was off to get reading. Lord, i want the dipstick back.

Oh yeah, i went ahead and changed my oil at 7500. Not waitng for the 15k crap.

I do love my LR4!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM