No Sound From Radio/Nav/Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Humorous (to me) update: Yesterday I was following my wife to her dealership to drop off her ride for some routine maintenance. On the way up I tried to call her and my phone and display started freaking out. I turned off BT on my phone and pulled the power to an aftermarket BT device that I use. Still, my LR's display showed me connected to a phone! When I would push a button on the display to call my own phone, the incoming call would show the call coming from my wife's phone. It was perplexing at first.

Then it dawned on me that since our vehicles were so close her phone was connecting to the LR via BT! When I pressed that call button on the display I was basically telling her phone to call me. We got a laugh out of that but I quickly grabbed her phone and made it forget the LR's BT profile.

GaryLR4

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue with my 2011 LR4 HSE. The NAV screen worked, but I couldn't select anything else (audio, phone, ...) and there was no audio. Took it into the dealership because they recently upgraded the OS for the display screen. Turns out that I needed a software patch. They applied the patch, rebooted the system and I haven't had the problem since. No charge at the LR dealership.

mailgauravshah

Reaction score
Hi all:

I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this issue and scouring the web and nothing seems to work. I'm hoping for some feedback here.

A few weeks ago the radio quit working in my LR3. There was no sound for a number of days. After about a week the sound came back on and worked for about 3 days. The radio head unit and nav work fine. I can change the channels and input, however there is no sound. No volume icon displays when I attempt to change the volume. Same thing with the NAV. I can input destinations and it will map to them, just no sound. Same thing with bluetooth. It will connect and receive calls, just no sound.

Here's what I've done to this point:

2006 LR3 Sport

Pulled and checked the following fuses both visually and with a fuse checker. All the fuses were fine and in good working order:

Fuse 42: Audio Amplifier
Fuse 43: Radio Frequency Receiver
Fuse 53: Multi-media module, audio unit, DVD player, Video Display
Fuse 58: Telephone, touch screen display, multimedia module

Did a soft system reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. I did this twice - no change in problem.

Did a hard system reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, then positive terminal, and connecting the two together for 5 minutes - no change in problem.

Took out the head unit and nav unit to check for loose connections. Disconnected all the wiring and reconnected - no change. There is only one light coming from the back of the fiber optics on the head unit. I've attached a pic, I'm not sure if both are supposed to be lit up or not?

Inspected the amp under the passenger seat. No loose connections. Disconnected the wiring and reconnected- no change. There is only one light coming from the amp wiring. Again, not sure if both are supposed to be lit or not?

Any suggestions? Are there any fuses I've missed? I know on some searches I've done apparently RR have an amp fuse? but I didn't see any other fuses behind the radio head unit, nav unit, or the amp.

I don't know what else to do. Pics are attached of the fiber optics lights. The head unit pic is upside down, so the side that lit up is the passenger side.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever reasons, I do not see any pictures but I do not think the problem is what generates the red light - either you have red light or you do not. See my file on the fibre optic loop jumper that allows one to bypass certain parts of the system such as the Bluetooth module. That link is just below but at the bottom of this post is a link to all my Infotainment system files. Most have between five hundred and thousand views so some may have found them helpful.

Regardless, I do not have any better ideas than what you have already attempted. It seems to me that you have done all the normal fixes, yet nothing works.

It may be that you will just have to wait it out. It has been my experience that for no known reason, one morning upon startup, all works again. My guess is that there has been a software glitch and over time, the glitch has worked its way out of the software.

Do not be afraid to do the hard reset over and over. Nothing will break or burn up.
For the most part, what a hard reset does is force the system to reboot, and over time, the hiccups in the software work their way thru the system and are flushed out.

In other words, what I am saying is that everything still works, nothing is broken, it is a software glitch and that takes times to get a good reload.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard-reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the driver’s door window rolled down and the key in one’s pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Also, when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch. Have the car keys in your pocket.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.
(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.) I have the Traxide dual battery system installed.

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to be able to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (suggest at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.

Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights and the radio when turned on plays music rather than being silent.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. http://bit.ly/14WXXR1

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue in my LR3 roughly 10 times in almost 9 years. I feel it occurs when I turn the key in a certain way, like I don't fully turn it to on, but just enough to barely engage the starter and release it. I have no proof, but on a few occassions I did notice how I flipped the key "differently" than normal and in those instances, the problem arose. It always fixes itself after the LR3 being off for at least a minute and then restarting. Perhaps the ignition blip casues some internal error. I never checked with my IIDTool to see if anything appeared in the faults section during the silent episodes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM