Nokian Hakka

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian neesan

Reaction score
Long time / First time. thanks for the wealth of knowledge here.

I bought a 2016 LR4 HSE about a year and a half ago, really enjoy it.came with 20” rims and pirelli 255/50 all season tires. Got a chance to try them in the snow, and did good, but not great.

Previous vehicle was Audi A4 with dedicated nokian winter tires. Best handling snow vehicle I’ve ever experienced. Granted lr4 is much heavier, I’d like to get as close to this as possible.

I live in mammoth lakes, Ca - lots of snow, so need optimal winter tire. No doubt nokian is for me.

I’ve always ran a dedicated winter rim/tire setup. In looking into new rims, I’m having trouble with the technicalities of what will fit. Not interested in modifications, so 19 or 20. I’d like more beef for winter *** holes, so leaning to 19”.

Factory OEM route is kind of boring, but I’m just not confident enough in the details to stray away. And advice you can share with a noob?

Also, I’ve seen a lot of previous posts concluding nokian winter tire are the best, but with limited detail. Anybody have more specific review/detail they can share. Thanks!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find some OEM 19" 255/55

The LR4 is heavy so it won't be as good in stopping or changing directions as the A4. That being said in really heavy snow and slow speed situations it will blow away the A4s slip and grip system. Nokians are good but pricey up here. I have run Bridgestone DMV1s, Toyo Open Country Observes G-02 and now DMV2s. The DMV2s have been the best and about 1/2 the cost of the Nokians. We get about 6 months where my driveway is white so I put as much mileage on winters as I do regular tires lol.

I say OEM wheels as the LR4 is heavy and many aftermarket options don't have the weight ratings.

good luck

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a factory set of OEM 19’s sitting in my garage that are in good condition. I’ve had them since I switched to the 18’ wheels. They come with everything you need minus the TPMS which you can swap from your prior wheels to these. I’d sell all 4 of them to you for $1000 and we could meet somewhere in the middle because I’m here in Pasadena California. Let me know if your interested.

4A6D144A-9CF7-43D7-8FC0-A031E1E15D5A.jpeg

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brian, buy those 19" wheels from Jimmy Brooks for $1000. ($250 each is a good deal as they are about $700 each new) Unlike Audi, there are only a few aftermarket wheels that work with an LR4. LR wheels are engineered to support the weight of an LR4 plus they have some sort of really strong bead seal that allows you to drop pressure if needed. And you want 19" for more sidewall.

I travel to VT to ski most weeks and have tried many winter tires. The DMV2 are decent but become more of an all season tire once half worn. From my experience, the Nokian Hakka R3 SUV is worth the extra cost. They are fantastic in snow and even better on ice. Even when 3/4 worn (number 2 on the treadwear indicator) they still have plenty of tiny sipes left that grab on ice. I'm running them on both our LR4's in winter.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r3-suv/

As noted above, your LR4 will do great in snow. Snow mode has gotten me through so many trips in snowstorms while other vehicles pulled off the road and gave up. (I've also owned a few A4's over the years) However, unlike your A4, it's all about stopping and turning all that weight in slippery conditions. That is when you will really appreciate the Nokians.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Preetsarai

Reaction score
I just bought a place in southern-VT with a long gravel driveway which has quite an incline. Average snowfall is ~ 72 inches/annually. My neighbor suggested getting the Nokian studded tires ;-)

I'm confused between Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2, Nokian Hakka R3 (stud-less), Nokian Hakka 9 (studded) or Falken Wildpeak A/T.

Has anyone tried the WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL (SIZE: 255/55R19) tires in snow & ice? They come with severe snow service certification and three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol and are XL load rated. Wondering if these would be a good 'all-year round' compromise compared to having dedicated winter tires.

Also, does anyone know if the new Defender 18" wheels with 255/70R18 (32.1") tires will fit the LR4? I'm guessing may need a lift-kit since standard LR4 fits a 30" tire. I guess I'll give them a try once I get my Defender next month. These are the wheels I've optioned - https://accessories.landrover.com/c...e-5094-5-spoke-dark-satin-grey/#tertiary-tabs

_
2010 LR4 HSE
2020 Defender P300, coming soon :)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Dorset, VT is your new home, go with the studded Hakka 9's. If traveling to VT from a less snowy area go with Hakka R3. I'm running the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail as a summer tire but still use Hakka R3's in winter. Falkens would be sufficient in the Boston area winter but for VT you want real winter tires.

According to the Defender forum on Land Rover Forums, LR4 wheels do not fit the Defender and vice-versa. The 5 x 120 bolt pattern is the same but the offsets are entirely different.

Sorry to bring this up, but as of now there is only one winter tire that fits the Defender (Pirelli Scorpion Winter) and it's for the 20" Defender wheel size. I reached out to Nokian about this months ago and they replied that they have no plans to offer a Defender-size winter tire yet. This is actually why I'm taking my LR4 through one more winter then ordering a Defender next spring.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
If Dorset, VT is your new home, go with the studded Hakka 9's. If traveling to VT from a less snowy area go with Hakka R3. I'm running the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail as a summer tire but still use Hakka R3's in winter. Falkens would be sufficient in the Boston area winter but for VT you want real winter tires.

According to the Defender forum on Land Rover Forums, LR4 wheels do not fit the Defender and vice-versa. The 5 x 120 bolt pattern is the same but the offsets are entirely different.

Sorry to bring this up, but as of now there is only one winter tire that fits the Defender (Pirelli Scorpion Winter) and it's for the 20" Defender wheel size. I reached out to Nokian about this months ago and they replied that they have no plans to offer a Defender-size winter tire yet. This is actually why I'm taking my LR4 through one more winter then ordering a Defender next spring.

Thanks! will consider the Hakka 9 since the LR4 will mainly live in VT. For the Defender, since i've ordered the P300 with 18" wheels - Nokian Hakka R3 SUV (size 255/70R18 116R XL) should work I think. But yes they dont have anything in 255/60R20 size.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the cabin vehicle and not doing much pavement then yeah I would consider studs. Just don't be like the ass clowns around here (mostly Audis and Mercedes but a few Land Rovers) that tool around in the spring /summer fall on their studs. Studs definitely are nice and beneficial 2-3 days a year up here but frankly I would rather be on good non stud winters winters and not have to listen to them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut