Normal Coolant Level Drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Hello

I recently bought my 2015 SCV6 and had the entire vehicle serviced and changed the entire cooling system pipes/hoses and pump+thermostat as well as the coolant expansion tank+cap.

I have owned the vehicle for four months now and put 5k miles on it.

Every month I notoce that the coolant level drops about 2cm from the "max cool" level mark and i top it off. It keeps on dropping.

Now I do live in the worlds hottest country with regular 55C days in july, but has that got to do with it?

I have had the radiator inspected and there are no visible leaks, nor anywhere on the replaced pipes/hoses.

Is a 2cm drop per month normal in hot summer weather? Or is there definetly a leak somewhere?

Thanks

Joe77

Reaction score
I would assuming that you are always checking the engine while it's cold?

I think you have a small leak somewhere. Ambient temperature shouldn't make a difference. It's a closed system.

I had a similar situation after replacing the water pump. I used a crappy water pump from Lucky8 and it started leaking slowly from the water pump seam. If you have one of those endoscopic cameras get in there and take a look. If you don't have one they are like $20 on amazon. My leak was bad enough that I could see it without the camera.

By the way, Lucky8 refused to warranty their cheap Chinese water pump after 2 months and 4000 KM. I suppose that's the chance you take with cheap parts.

Salanizi

Reaction score
I would assuming that you are always checking the engine while it's cold?

I think you have a small leak somewhere. Ambient temperature shouldn't make a difference. It's a closed system.

I had a similar situation after replacing the water pump. I used a crappy water pump from Lucky8 and it started leaking slowly from the water pump seam. If you have one of those endoscopic cameras get in there and take a look. If you don't have one they are like $20 on amazon. My leak was bad enough that I could see it without the camera.

By the way, Lucky8 refused to warranty their cheap Chinese water pump after 2 months and 4000 KM. I suppose that's the chance you take with cheap parts.

Mmm....all the parts I used were original Land Rover...

Indeed im always checking the level when cold

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the borescope and checking the valley of the engine for coolant is a good idea. Also, try replacing the reservoir cap on the reservoir. I believe they are pressure release caps and can start leaking vapor.

Joe77

Reaction score
Do you ever smell coolant after parking it?

I would double check the water pump and all of the other cooling system components, including rear crossover (heater manifold), thermostat etc. There should be obvious signs of leaking even if it's minor. Even though you used all original parts that doesn't guarantee that the mechanic didn't strip a bolt hole or F something else up.

Do you have a pressure tester?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was losing a small amount of coolant, and it turned out to be the radiator leaking.

Grab a UV flashlight and do an inspection in the dark. Should glow pretty good. This is assuming you're using OEM coolant.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the bleed screw leaking on my lr4 the one on the right side just adjacent to the battery I replaced that and my slow leak went away
I was able to get a brass one on amazon for about $15.00 I tried the dealer and they wanted $100 for the hose with the plug

equilibrium

Reaction score
55C has nothing to do with the coolant level. I am living near your area with the same climate conditions and the coolant level does not change even on very hot summers.
Definitely there is a leak.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Sounds like a slow leak somewhere. Or maybe, there's a bit of air pockets bleeding out the system. Either way, it's a good thing that you're keeping an eye on it. Cooling issues are pretty serious on these trucks, and it could lead to overheating and catastrophic failure (head gasket and new motor).

Salanizi

Reaction score
Upon further inspection, found some coolant residue quite a bit beneath the supercharger coolant pipe on the valve cover.

Replaced the supercharger pipes and the long hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator. I hope this fixes it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA