not cranking over / no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilljimi

Reaction score
a few times i have gone to start the car and it did nothing every now and again now it is dead ... no cranking not even a click from the solenoid. ... i tried crossing the posts with a couple of screwdrivers and still no start .. i cleaned the terminals. and the contacts on the 2 ground straps ... the relay can be felt and herd .... anyone have any ideas ... oh yea no fault codes or warnings have come up on the message center ... is the starter just toast .... any thoughts it is a 98 rangie 4.0

thank you jim .... :hello:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How old is your battery? If it is older than 4 years, there is a good chance it is going bad.

lilljimi

Reaction score
How old is your battery? If it is older than 4 years, there is a good chance it is going bad.

yes it is @ least 4 years old .... it has good power it seems , lights and windows work well the interior light doesnt even really dim when i try ..( i have the battery right now on a little charger pack .). the starter does not seem to be bound up or shorting out ... i am so stumped ... we tried jump starting it with cables . no luck ...also thanks for replying i appreciate it

jim:confused:

Last edited:

lilljimi

Reaction score
well i jumped the small wire off of the solenoid... to the positive battery terminal and it cranks the starter .... then i put the ignition switch on and touch the lead to the positive post and she starts .... where does the small wire come from that goes to the starter solenoid

i put a meter on the small wire that is suppose to go to the little terminal on the solenoid

and had my bro turn the key ... i got a low dcv reading about 3 on the 10 scale cause it barley would move on the 50 scale....

thanks for your time .... Jim

LocatorF1

Reaction score
Same thing

Got the same problem with my 4.0. I just put in a new battery and it wasn't that. I have to test the starter like you did tomorrow. Did you find out where the wire was going?

lilljimi

Reaction score
no not yet i am about to look here online ?

let me know if you find out please.
Jim

LocatorF1

Reaction score
Starter is shot

My starter is shot! This is the second one in two months. Something seems to be killing the starter by allowing too much juice to flow to it and it burns it out. I'm gonna check in my shop manual for you to see where the wires form the starter/solenoid go.

lilljimi

Reaction score
My starter is shot! This is the second one in two months. Something seems to be killing the starter by allowing too much juice to flow to it and it burns it out. I'm gonna check in my shop manual for you to see where the wires form the starter/solenoid go.

well i have the opposite problem ... my solenoid lead is not getting enough power... yes please do find out is yours a 98 also

LocatorF1

Reaction score
still looking

for a wiring diagram or something. Nothing in my shop manual. Mine is a 99. Did you check to see if your alternator is pumping out enough juice to charge the battery fully. Maybe it's not. I had that problem when I got my truck. I changed the alternator and it was fine for a year. Now I'm burning out starters. What is the voltage from the lead supposed to be? I haven't checked that yet.(probably should have done that first). Talk soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge