oem fuel fuel tank replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have found several threads...(obviously a little too late on fuel tank skids) this weekend I was out at the anza borrego dessert and hit some large rocks and nearly punctured my fuel tank. It do believe it will need to be replaced. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to purchase a new one probably OEM, but if you know of an upgrade option that would be great too. do you think I could have an extra plate welded onto the bottom of my new one before I install it? thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you confirmed you need one, are you actually leaking?
There are no legal after market tanks available new from Rover or used from a salvage yard.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is not leaking gas, but it sure looks like the wall is pretty thin where it was pushed in and skidded along. The length is about 3"

Trynian

Reaction score
There is a metal gravel/skid plate and then the plastic tank undernieth that. You can take the skid plate off when the gas tank is almost empty and pound the dent out.

When you put the protective plate back on and fill the tank the plastic tank will reshape if not damage to much.

Last edited:

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so am i understanding correctly? The metal I see that is dented scratched and nearly gouged is a protective cover for the tank and the actual tank is plastic. (it sits on top of the metal protective plate?)

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so am i understanding correctly? The metal I see that is dented scratched and nearly gouged is a protective cover for the tank and the actual tank is plastic. (it sits on top of the metal protective plate?)

And yes btw

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup! that Hi Country fuel tank skid looks like it would protect right where I needed the extra metal. Now that I have screwed mine up or at least come very close, the price doesn't seem too bad either.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if my actual tank isn't punctured (because it's not leaking gas) can I just add a protector, or should I try to figure out how to take the damn metal protection plate off, pound the dent out, replace and then install the skid? (once I purchase and get it)

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it off, then fill the tank like trynian said to allow the plastic to pop back into the original shape

Also, i guess you could fix your OEM skid for now (when you take it off anyway to let the tank fix itself) and then install the new skid when you get it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo