OEM hitch receiver, or aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do leave my oem on year round but take it off every 6 months to clean it with WD40. It does start to stick and the key system isn’t the best. I do this for a bike rack. As far as capacity I have towed a toy hauler weighing 6000 lbs without issue. It hasn’t broke yet, paid 400 on eBay 5 years ago. It’s the older version - I had heard they aren’t as reliable but it’s still working.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an OEM that's a KNB500023 if anyone is interested buying it.

Last edited:

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one to sell.
Switched last year to a RR Sport.... long story....
Like new, two keys which were replaced not quite 3 years ago (cylinder seized)

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like there are substantial differences between these two part numbers: KNB500023 versus LR040248. What is the effective difference? Are they both used on the same mount?

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure when, but at some point LR changed the receiver for the LR4. My KNB500023 fits LR3 and early LR4s. What year is your vehicle?

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I remember the normal looking one is the upgraded newer version. The funny looking one with the under bent tongue is the older version. I actually have the older version. I was told the newer one is more reliable.

I would say get the newer one cause it probably doesn’t effect clearance issues. I have smashed mine off of rocks here and there because of the way it’s shaped. It’s never come off or dislodged but kinda of unnerving to hear it scrape.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latching mechanisms look very different between the two versions.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I can t say it any clearer. LRNA specifically says that tow weight will be compromised using any other hitch system on their trucks than what they have researched and tested...PERIOD. I haul a horse and I would never compromise his life to save a few bucks. You guys are playing with fire and may cause others harm.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can t say it any clearer. LRNA specifically says that tow weight will be compromised using any other hitch system on their trucks than what they have researched and tested...PERIOD. I haul a horse and I would never compromise his life to save a few bucks. You guys are playing with fire and may cause others harm.

this is pretty standard, and 100% a legal statement by LR.
LR can only comment to what they have tested and proven worked.
The fact is, the vehicle has the ability to tow 7,700lbs. LR has designed their hitch to match.

Its up to the consumer to make sure that their aftermarket hitch has been properly tested by the hitch manufacturer, and to not exceed the lowest load rating of either the hitch or the truck (whichever is lower)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM