off center belts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJBART

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my 2000 disco II (118,000k) making a squeak noise when driving, It became very apparent when I stop at a traffic light and accelerated from a stop position. I pulled of to the side of the road to examine further and noticed some the belts where sitting off center on the pullies. Are the pullies bent or worn out? has anybody experience this problem? Any input would be helpful I'm not a mechanic. Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Off center isn't an issue, but if it is off of the pulley this is bad i.e. slightly hanging over the edge.

DJBART

Reaction score
Yes, the belt is slightly hanging over the edge on one of the smaller pullies,what does this mean? If I look at it from a side view it sort of looks bent. I was quoted a price of about 300-400 dollars for a repair does this sound right? Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Which pulley? Take a pic if you can... 3 to 4 hundred is insane...

DJBART

Reaction score
ok here's a pic, the larger pulley is the one that looks slightly tweeked to me causing the belt on the smaller pulley to be hanging on the edge, again its incredibly loud trying to drive the truck like this, thank you so much for your input!

Attachments

• Pulley1.jpg
    Pulley1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 32

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the tensioner at least that is what it looks like... around $80 in the part and 5 minutes work to change it.

DJBART

Reaction score
Wow! thanks alot I will take it to another shop and see what they say. I'll attach some of the other photo's let me know if you see anything else. Thank you again. -Dan

Attachments

• Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Pulley2.jpg
    Pulley2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 32
  • Pulley3.jpg
    Pulley3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 34

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Idler pulley, not tensioner... sorry my mistake.

Attachments

• D2 belt routing.jpg
    D2 belt routing.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 27

Srey

Reaction score
Off center belt on pulley

I replaced my belt and noticed that it is off center on the furthest right pulley when looking at it. Need help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635