Oh no!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 1070 miles, and:

Local tire shop says that can be fixed for $30, will have to take the tire off the wheel and patch from inside. Its a rear wheel.

Question is, should i get a new tire if i can get it under some sort of warranty? And if i do, would it be a good idea to run a brand new tire with no grip at all alongside three tires with 1K miles which should have some grip by now.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get it patched for 30 bucks and forget about it, it's quick, safe (as long as on the tread and nowhere near the sidewall) and permanent. Even if your tires did come with some sort of hazard warranty, they most likely would not approve a replacement tire for such tiny and easily repairable damage.

PS: Tell the tire shop to take it easy with their impact guns on your lug nuts, and see if they can torque them manually.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think last time i was there for my LR3, they had a book with torque specs for all manufacturers, makes and models.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get those weekly. You'll be fine. The only issue is if it hits the sidewall. I had to replace a tire at 1,500 miles.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at my lr4's nuts, it appears that they are a more standard size than the larger nuts on the D1's. I cant remember the size (27mm?), but Discount Tires didn't have the exact sized socket and ended up damaging all of the lug nuts. I noticed it a few months later when playing around with my rear tire. With hardly any discussion, they stepped up and replaced all the nuts. They have my business for life. I now carry the correct socket and give it to them just in case whenever my car is brought in. As the LR4 has a more common lug hut, hopefully this will not be an issue.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to the local tire shop this morning, got the tire patched etc. Noticed the tech started to jack up the car at the wrong spot on the frame at rear passenger side. He almost jacked it up on the skid plates that runs close to the frame rail. Had him correct it. Also, I read the correct nuts torque off the manual (98 Lb/feet) and requested him to use that torque setting. He used a manual lever with adjustable torque and he set to 100 lb/ft he said. But first he used the automatic gun to thread the nuts in.

Anyways, i drove straight to work about 3 miles. After late day at work at night as i am about to get into my car in the parking lot, i just happened to check the torque on the nuts with my bare hand, and guess what, they felt a bit loose. All five of them i can turn back and forth just about click. All nuts on all other wheels are tight, as far as i can check with my hand. It was around 9 pm at night, I drove slowly back to my home.

From the tire shop to work, to back to my house, all in all around 7 miles i drove with those loose nuts. Concerned about any damage driving may have caused. Will take the car to the tire shop tomorrow morning to show them this, they are about a mile from my place.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah-huh! That's gotta be normal play between the lug nut and its cover (they are not one solid piece, so the covers do develop a tiny bit of "play" when you grab them with your fingers.) If not, your tire shop is a criminal enterprise. :help:

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These days you can never trust nobody....High school drop outs jacking up at the wrong spot will truly mess u your weekend....This goes everywhere, not just the tire shop; it's getting harder and harder to find someone will do thing right and perfect!!!!!!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These days you can never trust nobody....High school drop outs jacking up at the wrong spot will truly mess u your weekend....This goes everywhere, not just the tire shop; it's getting harder and harder to find someone will do thing right and perfect!!!!!!!
I hear you! I live in CA and I find almost all the services to be absolutely sloppy.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, does anyone have a diagram of the jack points? I may put orange spray paint on the jack points, or put do-not-jack labels on things to prevent issues. I'm several hours away from a land rover dealer and I don't expect anyone around here to have a clue how to properly work on it. I am most worried about getting tires at a tire shop around here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo