Oil Change Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

ccw

I just changed the oil in my LR3 this weekend. I was quite surprised to find a huge metal skid plate covering the entire engine compartment. I was expecting some access holes for the oil pan drain plug. Not to be found! Are other Land Rovers like this, or is the new for the LR3?

I have had the LR3 for 7 months now and have had only one glitch. The display screen just showed the LR logo, and no sound would come out of the stereo. I could change stations or discs, but no sound. Other than that the LR3 has been great. I get between 15-18 MPG

Also the stock Goodyear tires are terrible on ice. I have ordered a set of 18’ rims (5 spoke) from Land Rover, and will put on some Blizzak DMZ3 tires.

Chilkoot

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freelander has a plate to take loose too. And the Range Rover Sport is just about the same as an LR3 altogether.

I don't think any tire is going to do well on ice without studs or chains.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hudy said:
I don't think any tire is going to do well on ice without studs or chains.

You'd be surprised at how well some of the Blizzaks perform on ice. The compounds and siping can do pretty amazing stuff.

T

toddjb123

ccw said:
I have had the LR3 for 7 months now and have had only one glitch. The display screen just showed the LR logo, and no sound would come out of the stereo. I could change stations or discs, but no sound. Other than that the LR3 has been great. I get between 15-18 MPG

Ahh yes...I've gotten something similar. Sometimes I come in the car and I can't play AUX but the other modes (FM) will work.

"Could not reproduce" is the response from service. Not much you can do there....

Bummer about the tires not being good on ice. I plan on some winter driving with this beast to get to the ski areas and hope it holds up okay! It does seem that deeper treads would be nicer. Sure, it isn't studded, but deeper treads I think would shed build-up easier, take longer to pack with snow, and should provide more traction overall. Is this just a component of low profile tires or lack of options?

T

toddjb123

Oh yeah, on the oil change. What a pain. On one hand, I do like to do simple things like change my own oil and past SUVs have been great because you don't even need a jack...just slide under and do it. With this one it sounds like too much of a pain....

On the other hand, we are driving a superior offroad machine. It is designed as such. Oilpan has to sit at a low point on the engine which is also a great thing for catching rocks...as I'm sure a couple non LR owners have had their oil plug torn out by a well placed rock. So, its good that everything is protected even it it does make it a pain to service.

Has anyone checked for the lube points on this truck? (chassis) Are there fittings so we can do this ourselves or is that a dealer service item as well. On some vehicles the points are hard to get to or the attachments are missing...

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Blizzacks I have on the Nissan did ok last winter. I don't think I would have made it home on Chrismas Eve Eve with out them. Open diff and light RWD car = not so good in the snow. :)

I don't think the LR3 has any grease points. I would suggest lubing the turn stops on the lower control arm with some anti-sieze(prefferably copper base).

T

texas911

I wonder if we can pump out the oil from the dipstick tube. That's how I do it on my Mercedes. The filter is on top of the engine in the Mercedes as it was designed for pump oil changes. Is the filter on the bottom as well in the LR3?

C

ccw

The oil filter is on the bottom, right behind the radiator. It has a small plate covering it. Only 4 bolts to remove the plate. There is even enough room to operate an oil filter wrench.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tires are fine on ice -- and snow. Of course different areas get different types of snow but the only thing that stopped our LR3 last winter in Summit County was snow deep enough that the truck began to run on top of it.

Then out came the shovel -- and the nagging "why did you do that ..."

T

toddjb123

steve c said:
The stock tires are fine on ice -- and snow. Of course different areas get different types of snow but the only thing that stopped our LR3 last winter in Summit County was snow deep enough that the truck began to run on top of it.

Then out came the shovel -- and the nagging "why did you do that ..."

good to know.
thanks! (you live in a great place....i love summit county. abasin is open! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99