Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't it more prudent to err on the side of caution and change your engine oil more frequently? Most of the cars that I worked on in the early 1990s - granted, different manufacturing techniques now for some things - that were falling apart were the result of poor owner maintenance. While this was in Southern CA the owners of these expensive cars would push the very outer limits or beyond of preventative maintenance.
I'm not saying that e24kgold is doing that but to give Disco Mike a break here, what's the harm in being proactive? It only helps the vehicle to last longer.

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change it

Im at about 11,000 since my last oil change. I used Castrol Edge 5w-30. Just checked the oil and its almost new. I know there are different views on this. Some say the oil should be dirty bc it takes in impurities and sludge and the like. MAybe my engine is just extra clean??:stupid:

thoughts?

E

Change oil now...Castrol Edge is only good for 10K. You could get SLX proffessional,made by Castrol and it will go 15K..You can only buy it at a Land Rover Dealer Parts at 10.00 a Quart.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline Dino oil, 5W30, and change it before it hits 5.5k. Usually before 5k though.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly it all depends where you live and what type of use your vehicle gets. southern california is (might seem weird here) but yes we are full of traffic , stop and go alot of city driving wears in an engine faster climate isnt that bad we dont see -65 deg here so we really dont care at what point our oil freezes and we hardly see temps over 100 deg but we do use our vehicle more for daily commute . SO our service intervals do fall under 7500 miles

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline Dino oil, 5W30, and change it before it hits 5.5k. Usually before 5k though.

Thats cool,But my LR3 has 185 miles original owner/2005.I had oil changed at no more than 3,500 miles and used Castrol 5-20 regular based oil.Never has used any oil in between oil changes.I truly believe motor will go 300,000 plus miles.Its a great engine.Trans. also,changed oil out every 70,000 miles thru a flush system.Cheap insurance.Trans will go at least as long engine.I change ALL other fluids on trk. every 75,000..... Worth it No Mechanical issues

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
185,000 Miles

honestly it all depends where you live and what type of use your vehicle gets. southern california is (might seem weird here) but yes we are full of traffic , stop and go alot of city driving wears in an engine faster climate isnt that bad we dont see -65 deg here so we really dont care at what point our oil freezes and we hardly see temps over 100 deg but we do use our vehicle more for daily commute . SO our service intervals do fall under 7500 miles

185,000 Miles/sorry

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, to correct a point made eariler, the transmission in the LR3 is a great and well regarded transmission. It is a ZF transmission and is used in Audis, Porsches, and many other top brands.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats cool,But my LR3 has 185 miles original owner/2005.I had oil changed at no more than 3,500 miles and used Castrol 5-20 regular based oil.Never has used any oil in between oil changes.I truly believe motor will go 300,000 plus miles.Its a great engine.Trans. also,changed oil out every 70,000 miles thru a flush system.Cheap insurance.Trans will go at least as long engine.I change ALL other fluids on trk. every 75,000..... Worth it No Mechanical issues
I do every 3.5k on my Jeep, because it only takes 5 qts. LR3 takes 8, so it takes longer to dirty the oil I think. I agree that 70-75k is great on everything else though.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ever since my warranty and free oil changes ran out, I change my own oil & rotate my Zeons every 5500-6k miles which ends up being every 7 weeks or so. I drive alot for work (34k miles/yr). Have always stuck with what the car came with and dealership uses Castrol 5w-30.

Acuwar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lots of talk about oil.. How about the oil filter ?
What brad to use ect...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635