Opinions wanted...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

means5104

Reaction score
I am contemplating a purchase of a new off road/ backwoods camping vehicle. I live in Alabama and havaccess to multiple state parks that have amazing backwoods camping locations. I currently own a 2004 Ford F-250 diesel crew cab truck with the FX4 off road package. I love the truck, and it is my daily driver. However I have been thinking of buying a new vehicle and trading this in. I want some other opinions on the options I have. I'm thinking about possibly a 2007-08 Land Rover LR3, a 2010-2012 Nissan Xterra Off road package or the Pro-4x package, or an FJ Cruiser. Or option two, keep the truck and purchase a dual sport motorcycle such as the Kawasaki KLR650 or a BMW F650gs. Whatever I do, it will be used as a daily driver (except for the bikes) as well as a light off-road vehicle, and camping vehicle. I am married with three kids. A set of four year old twins and a ten year old. I would like for it to have plenty of room to use as an occasional family vehicle. My wife drives a Toyota Sequoia, so it will not be used as a daily family hauler.When I go camping, it's usually with onlya couple friends, the wife and kids do not like camping, so that's why I am contemplating a dual sport motorcycle. Any opinions or questions that might help guide me in the right direction?

Thanks for reading. Long time reader, first time poster.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a motorcycle (R1200GS) and am torn between which to take when i go off on an excursion, so I'm no help to you there. But the LR3 is a fantastic truck, you'll enjoy it more than the FJ Cruiser. I've got a 108k mile '05 for sale, if that is the way you choose to go, feel free to PM me about the details.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in the market for a 4x4 I narrowed it down to either a wrangler, a fj cruiser or the LR3, I chose the LR3 because I do use it quite a load in the city, otherwise I'd probably be the owner of an fj cruiser. I tested and found the LR3 more comfortable to drive in the city (more posh as well) and just as capable so I went for it. Never been inside a nissan tbh so I can't vote there but I don't think it's n the same category is it?

Anyhow, loads of friend have cruisers; they are very good off road and cheaper to fix! but just drive far too clumsy for a daily driver IMHO

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 is the superior 4x4....but it will likely cost more to maintain. Go in with eyes wide open, and you'll be happy.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you should put more carriage returns in your posts. (That's usually the large key that says "ENTER" on it.)

It makes them easier to read.

That may not be on topic, but the thread title indicated you were seeking opinions. :biggrin:

means5104

Reaction score
Haha I appreciate the grammar lesson. It's just very difficult typing on this old phone.

What should I be looking out for as far as purchasing a used LR3? I'm aware of the control arms, and testing the air suspension system. Is there any other mechanical issues, or electronic gremlins I should keep an eye out for or test for? I've always had a strong affection for Land Rovers, and my dream vehicle is a 97 Defender 90. But alas I will not be able to afford one for quite some time thanks to three kids that will be going to college and driving before I know it. Thanks for the help folks.

Carved out of stone with a chisel

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too want a Defender so badly!!! I'll be buying one ASAP.

Anyhow you should watch out for the suspension mainly (check if the compressor is the hitachi rubbish or the new AMK) and also check the coolant system, the plastic where the temperature sensor is, tends to leak.
You can also check the sunroof drains, if they're clogged the water can mess up the cables and circuits. And make sure to check if the triptonic (or whatever it's called) shifter actually shifts the gears, thats another common issue.

Those are the only problems I've had so far and my lr3 clocks just under 68k miles!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the truck if it's been basically trouble free. Which engine specifically, the 6 or 7 liter? Regardless, I think swapping it for an LR3 is a sure way to have regrets because the market you mention, 07-08, will surely be in the zone for seriously rolling the dice on expensive repairs.

Now, you say you all have a Sequoia....they are pretty reliable and they can be set up for decent off road use too without degrading the DD handling too much.

I'll say absolutely keep the F250 because it's a diesel and works for you and could actually carry along even a "big" bike like a 900 KTM or what I have, the BMW GS1200 Adventure. You can't really carry those on the back of the vehicles you mentioned as they are really too heavy for the safe tongue weight aside from the reality of how ****** an LR3 would handle with 600 lbs swinging around 2 feet off the rear.

As for "affording" a D90....well, an LR3 is not the "affordable" vehicle in some ways. Mine has need both front and rear differentials in just 105,000 miles. All 4 wheel bearings have been replaced by now, various control modules, air compressor, an air strut, 2 door locking mechanisms, many more things and this is just 105,000 miles with me having everything as preventative as possible taken care of since new. I really feel like my 1996 Disco did better over it's 238,000 miles.

So, get the bike, make the F250 and Sequoia work. Be happy knowing that route should be far fewer headaches, hours lost, and costs.

Oh, on another note, the GS, if at all you can afford it, the 800 is considerably more bike for the $. In so many ways it's seriously just a better machine in every way. The only place I see the 650 being correct is for the short/timid rider who will not load it up too much and not try going too far. A quick comparison ride will also reveal the clear difference in feel but the 800 is the sweet spot.

means5104

Reaction score
The truck is a 6.0. And the only reason I'm even thinking of getting rid of it is due to expensive and extensive repairs. I've bulletproofed it, but now it's just little things here and there going wrong and needing fixed.

I've spent roughly $5k in the past year alone. Now it's been a very strong truck, and very reliable other than the time spent in the shop getting it's heads studded, and egr deleted.

The sequoia is 2wd or I would definitely look into upgrading it to an off road capable vehicle.

I'm leaning towards just purchasing a dual sport for a weekend/camping toy. I camp ultra light anyway, so I won't be really missing any room doing it that way. I usually camp with a hammock, blanket, and tarp. And usually scavenge firewood from downed trees, as long as it's within the law to do so.

Carved out of stone with a chisel

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an LR or a Wrangler Rubicon 4 door. Both can be had with a 2"hitch to fit a carrier, both can go anywhere off road, both get **** gas mileage, both can carry 4-6 people, both can last a long ass time if properly maintained. I would never buy an Asian vehicle and go off road with it, they never seem sturdy or robust enough. I have been through many two tracks in the UP michigan with my 3/4 ton GMC and did plent of research on a replacement vehicle I would be confident in. My LR4 was the one I chose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635