Parking Brake Lock-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: LR Replacing the module and shoes. Extended warranty rejecting the payment for the warped rotors and glazed brake pads because of "extended use." Essentially, they are claiming that I caused the damage by not stopping in the middle of the highway and waiting for a tow truck (even though I was being instructed by Land Rover to do this).

Anyway, they say the module is the problem. I also found out that the tow truck damaged my wheel wells when putting the vehicle on piggyback. Nice.

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have an 06 just turned 36000 last month when my e-brake locked up. Land Rover towed it and replaced everything under warranty. They also discovered the front drive shaft and front right wheel bearing where making a noise. I never noticed it, they replaced them under warranty. I have had the truck for a year, first problems I had with it. From research, I was aware of the e-brake problem before buying, so it was just a matter of time. Funny thing is I just picked up the truck for service (oil change) when on the way home from the dealership, the e-brake went. Love the truck, would not think about owning anything else. Great truck for the Colorado mountains.

Ralph

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were rumors (completely false ones) that Ford calculated it would be cheaper to pay off any lawsuits arising from Pinto deaths/injuries rather than redesign the vehicle. I hope LR does not try to brush this potentially dangerous issue under the rug. Do you hear me Mr. Rover?

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me about 2 months ago, I was on the highway and my car started to rattle as if I was driving over the shoulder warning grooves. When I pulled the car over, might right rear wheel was steaming with the smell of burning. I let everything cool down for about 30 minutes and it was fine after that.
According to the stealership, when I had my rear brakes replaced, my buddy mechanic didnt "adjust the EPB" and therefore, it was rubbing inside the wheel. There was obvious friction signs to support that. So they adjusted to the EPB and I havent had the problem since... knock on wood

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new to my car. It probably happened 10 times, but I'd pull over and restart the car, and it would be all good. LR even did the "adjustment" to when I complained. This is the first time it's locked up and wouldn't release.

The insurance company has formally rejected the claim to replace the rotors and pads even though they were damaged. I'm talking to Land Rover to see if they'll pick up the cost. They're also thinking of picking up the cost of the damage to my wheel well from transport. Messy, but there's hope. If not, I"m out $1,200.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DAY 9 (No car) An update: The dealership and APCO (LR EW Insurance) have both refused, flat-out, to cover the cost of fixing the damaged rear rotors and brake pads. LRNA is giving it their normal "review."

To get the vehicle back in running condition, I had to shell out $1,189. This is $690 for new rear rotors and pads and $490 for a new front wheel well that was damaged by the tow truck and no-one seems to want to take responsibility.

I'm actually going to file a small claims court case against Land Rover Chantilly and LRNA to recoup my cost if LRNA doesn't pick it up. I've done this before to recoup small non-payments from people in the building indsustry and it's very effective. I spoke to my business attorney this morning, and we both think it will be a pretty easy case to win.

Overall, I'm pretty peeved at this whole situation. This will be my last Land Rover, sad to say. I like the design/capability of the LR3, but the maintenance/problem baggage is just one more headache that I don't need

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that this seems like a rant, but I wanted to bring everyone up to speed on my recent fun.

1) Land Rover finally fixed the vehicle and I wrote them a $1,200 check.
2) I got the vehicle back after 12 days in the shop.
3) LRNA agreed to reimburse me for a TBD amount to cover the rotors, but they refused to replace the pads even though they were only 5,000 miles old and had severe damage.
4) Starting the vehicle this morning, I had a suspension fault and "brake" warning light come on. The vehicle is on a tow-truck on its way back to Land Rover Chantilly.
5) LRNA called to make me an "offer" on their reimbursement. I told them about the situation, and they are now "re-evaluating the situation."

To make matters worse, my A-Pillar is leaking again. ***.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you qualify for the Lemon Law? That could give you a lot of leverage.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch tough situation

A couple thoughts. I have an 05 HSE (45 k on it) and have had both the parking brake issue (locking up on highway vibration) and the a pillar, sunroof tube leak. All is well now all is fixed.

For my parking brake, under warranty the dealer replaced the entire brake actuator / cable assembly and at 0.0 cost to me, did both rotors and pads as well. That was actually when the car was under CPO, not factory, warranty. It was 1 month outside of the 48 months when they did that, 0.0 complaints.

The root cause (other than faults with the actuator) is the shoes out of adjustment... dragging slightly, heat up, expand, drag worse and wala. Mine hasnt' done it since the new actuator BUT the brake has squealed / frozen when sitting still, but always fixed itself after key cycling / turning truck on and off.

I figured out how to adjust the parking brake, although I need a real torque wrench. It's a pain but saves me a trip to the dealer. Did it last weekend and my squealing/noisy parking brake is totally fixed. We'll see tho I guess. I agree, I hate the EPB.

As for a pillar leak. This shouldnt recur. There is a fix, you get a kit, remove the a pillar, use a black sticker to cover a hole in the body, break the "tab" off the a pillar molding that located the molding in that body hole, and use new clips to affix the a pillar molding to the truck. Do it on both sides, there will be no more leaks. Early RRSports had this issue also.

It could be your windshield cowl leaking thru the pollen filter OR sunroof drain tubes. I'd suspect both. Do a search here and elsewhere and you'll see how to fix or how to tell the dealer what's up.

Overall, sorry to hear about this, these are all solvable (EPB sort of) ... but can really make owning an LR3 a pain. I'm a guy who takes things apart, used to be a car mechanic looong ago, so I do alot myself, but for others, it sucks to rely on the dealer. Just be as educated as you can be and go in with all the ammo! Keep us posted !

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those hints. They replaced the shoes gratis so they must know there's something wrong there.

Lates update is they want $400 to even check the problem. I'm not quite sure why since the car is under warranty. I think they are waiting till they hear back from LRNA before they do anything. I think this last episode has ****** them off some even though none is my problem.

The A-Pillar leak has something to do with the new windshield i had put on last month. I watched the work being done and saw the patches you mention. I'm pretty suprised this is back. it's probably a clogged drain

to be continued. . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4