Parking Brake Lock-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've brought this up a few times on this board with varied answers to its cause, but I'm looking for input based on events yesterday.

I've had a series of brake lock-ups while at highway speed. Usually, I pull over and restart the car and it goes away. I recently had LR do a full inspection of the brake system and they determined I was crazy. Well, yesterday I had a full lock-up of the brakes while crossing a mountain gap near Waynesboro, VA. Fog, rain and guardrail and I can't do more than 30 mph without the car violently shaking against the brake rotors.

I followed some climbing trucks, made it to an off-ramp and got off the highway. When I stopped, my back brake rotors were literally steaming up. LR picked it up (got a nice Kia Rio in return) and they are "reviewing" the situation this morning.

I am lobbying that if they don't know what's causing the problem, they need to replace the entire system: Module, rotors, calipers, pads, brake line, brake flush, etc. Yes, I'm asking for a lot, but I could have been killed yesterday, too. They obviously don't know what's wrong.

Is there something I should be looking for or asking for in this situation as far as replacement of parts? They're a bit worried that they gave me a clean bill of health not a month prior, so I'm going to push this a bit.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the dreaded "EPB failure" issue that seems to be much more common on UK spec vehicles. There's some info on it collected in this thread at the Disco3 forum:

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43189.html?highlight=epb

Also, I'd do a search for "EPB" or "Electronic Park Brake" over there...these guys have been having this problem for years and have documented many, many cases and fixes.

Does it make a ton of noise when it happens (i.e. squealing, etc.)?

Hope this helps.

-Paul

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine fail to release while out on the trail. But never has it locked up while driving. I'd be curious as to what the dealer has to say. Although without being able to check everything my self it sounds as if it was just improperly adjusted.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why couldn't the just use a regular cable operated parking brake? I never use mine, there has to be a way to bypass it

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the dreaded "EPB failure" issue that seems to be much more common on UK spec vehicles. There's some info on it collected in this thread at the Disco3 forum:

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43189.html?highlight=epb

Also, I'd do a search for "EPB" or "Electronic Park Brake" over there...these guys have been having this problem for years and have documented many, many cases and fixes.

Does it make a ton of noise when it happens (i.e. squealing, etc.)?

Hope this helps.

-Paul

It doesn't make a noise at all. You feel the decel and then the back end starts to shake if you don't slow down. It's like the caliper slowly starts to lock down on the rotor.

LR is telling me that the pads are split and damaged, but they are not sure what's causing the fault. Extended insurance says they won't replace the pads becuase it's a wear and tear issues, blah, blah, blah. It's going to be a fun day.

I'm simply sticking to this logic: if you don't know what the specific problem is, you have to cure the entire problem. I'm not going to do an incremental fix where they replace the caliper but not the control module. So far, they're saying there's no fault with the module.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. . .Just read the Disco pages (all 10 of them) and this still seems to be a mystery. Not looking good for a quick fix.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is one of those LR gremlins that creeps it's way into some vehicles with no easy fix. Sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope LR does the right thing...they usually do for me!
e24kgold said:
Why couldn't the just use a regular cable operated parking brake? I never use mine, there has to be a way to bypass it

Seriously. It's like they were just looking for an excuse to add another electronic gadget. Not to mention they removed the ability to yank the e-brake in the snow!

-Paul

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but look at it from their perspective: They don't know what's broken and can't find any indications. They've never seen the symptoms first-hand, either. I'm not saying that they shouldn't take your word for it, but from a diagnostic stand-point if you could somehow get video footage of an incident while it happens or even directly after I think it would help them.

Help them help you, Rod!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I kinda agree with that sentiment except that I've complained about this numerous times and even had the car towed in once before for the same problem. They couldn't find the issue before and just sent me on my merry way after test driving it (the EPB must have re-set itself). They last inspected the brake system one month ago and said there was nothing wrong.

I can't imagine owning this vehicle out of warranty, though. I'd be looking at $$$$ to fix this monster.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have the extended warranty and Mech Breakdown Ins through Geico. When that expires, I'm broke!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72