Antoher parking brake tale of woe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Higgins

Reaction score
Hi guys. Had the screech of death and a brake fault when applying the parking brake. Pulled the cable and drove on for a few weeks.
Unjammed my EPB manually today and wound the black bar in 5 revolutions. Gears looked fine but also replaced them while I was in there. Relatched manually also.
Reassembled everything and did a complete rear brake job (pads, rotors and shoes) per Bodsy’s Bible.

Now when I apply the parking brake, I hear it winding for a few seconds and then get the screeching sound.
Tried re-adjusting the shoes a few times but no luck.

I’ve verified the cables are attached properly to the lever on the shoes and can see them retracting (using a boroscope) when the brake is applied.

The EPB disengages fine right now but I am concerned it may jam up hard again.
IIDtool shows no faults now.

Looking for some inspiration.
One other thing to note - I tried adjusting the shoes all the way out to the rotor so there would be little to no slack to take up when the motor engaged (my rationale was that the cables had stretched beyond the limit of what the module could handle). Applying the parking brake in this position results in it running briefly before again screeching like a banshee.

Appreciate any feedback
Thanks!

anglotron

Reaction score
The brass nut in the EPB that pulls the parking brake cables runs out of travel on the lead-screw, and no amount of adjustment at the calipers will compensate for this. The EPB module has to be opened and the brass nut manually wound out, so that when activated it doesn’t reach the end of the lead-screw and jam up.

I found this information on Flickr a while back and there’s some videos that clearly show what’s going on.

IMG_6661.jpeg
IMG_6662.jpeg

John Higgins

Reaction score
Just to close this out. I had pulled the EPB module and 'reset' it (wound the bowden cables out and turned the driver side in 5 turns, also replaced the gears) before posting here. I thought that was clear from my original post but maybe not.

I continued to have an issue so pulled the module again last night . It turns out that while I was reassembling the module last time around; I placed the gearbox over the manual release cable; crimping it. While trying to actuate the brake the crimped cable caused the mechanism to unlatch again. So now that I've freed that cable and reassembled (again) - all is good inthe world. Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72