PHX area ZF shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!
After a rough three months or so in the bush, I have returned home and the landy is sick.

I need to get the transmission looked at by someone familiar with the ZF transmission, I have a feeling the torque converter is on its way out (pulsing under load going up hill, rough shifting, and a random grinding noise), was thinking to just have the entire transmission rebuilt or buying a rebuilt one from roverland. There is a indy shop here (in scottsdale), but was curious if anyone knew of a zf transmission place.

Also, battling a "cross-articulation error" when driving over 45mph, had to pull fuses to get home, anyone know how to nail this down? When I check the code with the gap tool it simply says "cross-articulation error", which, as it turns out, is not helpful at all, I have done my best to re-calibrate the suspension on my own, but it still returns, only things that have changed on vehicle shortly before this was i replaced the front right lower control arm, front right sway bar link (old one broke off....from ice....lots of ice) and left front wheel hub.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the air shock in the corner where the link broke; I'm curious if the shock is toast. If there are dents or punctured in the outer shell then you need a new shock. That may be contributing to your loss of calibration. Sensors do seem to "go bad" but I've never been able to figure out how or why.

Anyway my advice is to check the shock, the wires in the drivers side frame rail in the wheel well and the brackets that hold the sensors, particularly in the side where the link broke. If a bracket is bent it can foul up the calibration. Replace any failed hardware and then re-calibrate with the GAP Tool. Call or e-mail GAP; they will help. They also have an Excel spreadsheet that you can use now to make it easier.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks houm, I dont think its the strut itself, I have had this issue before a long time ago and I thought it was resolved, but I guess not. all the brackets appear to be fine, sway bar link is new, I thought maybe with the lower control arm, sway bar link, and a fresh tire added opposite rear corner that may have thrown it off. I may just take it to the stealership and have them calibrate it.

As far as the transmission goes I think I may just buy it from roverland, 3 year warranty is pretty tempting.

cmb6s - I wish I had stories of adventure and glory, instead the 3 months in the bush was mostly work,
dgmjk0.jpg
this an old picture from volunteer canyon.

2n9xsv4.jpg

I dont really take a whole lot of pics of my vehicle

6e3ewk.jpg

Last picture I have containing my land rover (that is my partner), I have one more but its blurry and just shows snow fall.

The three months led to 3 arrests for poaching (we check hunting permits), a bunch of vehicle recoveries, 2 car accident "calls for assistance" on the highway near us (first one was fatal, second one involved 4 rollovers, all due to speed and snow), lots of walking, and giving a bunch of directions to lost people. Nothing too exciting, wish I was overlanding a trail somewhere in the north west instead, like washington, never been there, but I hear its beautiful.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post info about what I have done to my landy on the topic of show off your ride or whatever it is.

Also, after I take it to the stealership I will post what they said was wrong (maybe a sensor...i hope)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Washington and grew up in Oregon until age 23; I'll vouch for the NW; it's beautiful country up here...oh and it rains a lot. We do have the best beer in the country and maybe world, too.

I like the painted or p-coated rims and the KM2s.

I'm surprised about the shock. It might be worth it to jack up the front and check for contact between the control arm and shock. I'm only so bullish on this because a sway bar end link doesn't just break...and when mine did it was because of the shock. Happened to another person on one of the boards too...same way; complete with cross-articulation errors too.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm lets trade, I'll move up there and you move down here to PHX, 109 outside right now.

The sway bar link broke when I drove through what I thought was solid ice, at maybe 40 or 45mph, ripped the plastic fender flare off too, I only see a small (size of a dime) dent in side of air strut, it goes about as deep as a dime too. Im going to try to calibrate tonight with gap tool and see if that changes anything, last time I only adjusted two wheels (opposite corners) which goes against everything their sheet says to do.

The wheels are plastic dip, going to be changing color soon.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love Phoenix...well, Tempe in particular. Mill Ave....yeah. I'll trade you in November.

Where is the dent in the air strut? Is it right about where the upper control arm would hit if it were to come down and strike the strut? (I bet it is!!!)

Look...you can fight the power as much as you want, I'm betting a dollar to a donut that your shock is **** and it stopped limiting travel on that side and it caused your link to break. Have you felt a swaybar end link? I have...I tried to bend one back into shape (long story) they are really solid. They are not going to be the weakest link and break in some ice. Seems like there would be a whole lot of other suspension components that would break that ice before the link went through it.

Wait....there's ice in AZ?

Take the 20 minutes required to jack up that corner and see if your upper control arm doesn't make contact with the air strut RIGHT where the dime-sized dent is. THEN...after you have that epiphany that Houm is right; change the shock, check for any damage to the sensor and/or bracket and change required hardware. Calibrate. Good as new....then get up here to WA and hit the trails and buy me beer (for the diagnosis).

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mill ave has horse police...i got bit by a horse once.

Yes the dent is right where the upper control arm would hit, the sway bar link was literally just the top half, it was broke off in the middle (still straight) and the bottom was completely gone.

Ironic you are telling me the air strut is **** when you are selling one isnt it?:smile:

Yes Az gets plenty of ice and snow, especially where I work, we also have earthquakes and tornadoes. Not in the Phoenix area though.

The control arm no longer makes contact with the air strut, as I have replaced the sway bar link, and IF land rover says I need a new strut, I will buy you a 30 pack of beer (your choice) and mail it to you, then come up there to show you how to off road. Then buy you more beer, because Houm is probrably pretty mostly right...most of the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM