Please Help! I cannot shift out of Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Classic

I have a 1995 RR Classic and it will not shift out of park, I have replaced the brake switch and a blown fuse, but the 15A fuse keeps blowing when I shift. Here is some background info:
-The brake lights will only illuminate if the key is in the forward position.
-When the fuse blows the brake lights do not work at all so they must be on the same circuit.
-After replacing the fuse and holding down the brakes while the key is in the on position, the fuse does not blow, the fuse only blows when I begin shifting into and out of park. after about 4 shifts the fuse blows.
-I have peeked under the dash, and in the center column to look for any arcing wires, but have not been able to find any yet.
-There is something that is causing the fuse to blow, but I do not know what.

Does anyone think that a faulty brake light switch might be causing the problem? I am talking about the switch that the vacuum hose connects to for cruise control.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do next please let me know!

Thanks

D

disco1

I recall seeing somewhere, that if your fuse keeps blowing to check the terminals on the rear window grid. If they are touching, they could be the cause.

95Classic

Thanks for the tip, when you say rear window grid, are you referring to the window switches? and if so, the switches mounted on the back doors, or on the center console. Or maybe the grid is something different, could you let me know?

Thanks again
eric

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric needs a workshop manual. Does anyone have one for a classic to help him out?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grid of which he speaks is the defroster grid on the rear window. Make sure those wires aren't shorting...and get a shop manual...

V

Vincent

Don't know if you got you park problem fixed but as I understand it, when your in park you have engaged both your front and back driveshafts against each other through the viscus coupler. This keeps the truck "parked". If your bound up with your drive lines in the transfercase or the viscus it might prevent you from getting out of park. Good luck.

Vincent

95Classic

Hi All,

I fixed the problem. The fuse that is associated with the brake lights was constantly blowing when I would apply the brakes to shift out of park. I traced the wires associated with that fuse and at the rear passenger brake light assembly, the previous owner had hooked up a trailer hitch brake light harness, and the connections had subsequently rusted and were causing the fuse to blow. I removed the harness, and repaired the wires that had been spliced, and it has been working well since.

Now I just have to get another harness, good thing I don't pull things often!

Hope this might help anyone in the future.
Eric

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635