Please help me with your experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I just bought my LR4 and it was just shy of 100k miles. I am prepping to take it in for its 105k mile service.

I have a list here of the things I believe need to be checked at the 105K mark. However, this list is based on what others have told me, and based on two website articles I read.

*Special thanks to Fuji4
*HUGE thanks to Troy Angrignon

i’m no mechanic, nor do I know a TON about car mechanics, so I’m going to place an asterisk* next to the items that i copied onto this list but i honestly don’t undretand, or understand what it is that a mechanic would be looking for with these parts. That way, if you have time, perhaps you could help me understand my own list a little bit better :)

Please comment, correct, critique as necessary. If you feel this list needs fixing before I take it to my mechanic, please let me know.

okay, here is the list with my asterisks for this i don’t understand:

Replace:
-Cabin air filter
-Engine air filter element
-Spark plugs & wiring
-Brakes & Rotors
-front and rear coolant crossover pipes
-lower control arm bushings
*-replace the Hitachi suspension compressor with the AMK suspension compressor.
-dry/cracked rubber boots in the suspension parts and joints

Drain & Refill:
-Engine Oil (every 5-7k miles)

Inspect:
-coolant system check
-Exhaust System
-Tire Wheel Assembly (rotate tires)
*-Vehicle Wiring Harnesses
-Third Row left seat (stuck in down position)
*-Differential & Transfer Case (75k)
-water pump (has it been replaced?)
-transmission pan filter
-lower control arms
-upper control arms
-fuel pump belt (has it been replaced?)
-Cam belt (has it been replaced?)
-sunroof drains
*-timing chain, timing chain guides, and tensioner (replace if they look like they’re worn down)

Derek Reid

Reaction score
I am curious if your mechanic is a Land Rover mechanic? As I have experienced, a LR mechanic can or should take the fog out of maintenance list you have compiled.

gumbedamit

Reaction score
*-timing chain, timing chain guides, and tensioner (replace if they look like they’re worn down)

What year is your truck, only the pre-2013 models have the timing chain issue. If you have a pre-2013 model, are you experiencing noises or taping coming from that area? Taking off the front of the engine just to inspect tensioners would be costly if you are not having any issues. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose that problem with specialized tools and experience.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What year is your truck, only the pre-2013 models have the timing chain issue. If you have a pre-2013 model, are you experiencing noises or taping coming from that area? Taking off the front of the engine just to inspect tensioners would be costly if you are not having any issues. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose that problem with specialized tools and experience.
2012. I haven't heard nose anywhere. This was meant to be a preventative thing, to about surprised. Your thoughts?

gumbedamit

Reaction score
2012. I haven't heard nose anywhere. This was meant to be a preventative thing, to about surprised. Your thoughts?

If you've taken it to a good Indie Shop and they've not heard any noises that would indicate bad timing chain guides, I would not spend the $3-6k replacing something that is not broken.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chains/guides will topically give you some warning.

I was worried about the same thing, until my mechanic fired up a truck for me that actually was experiencing the issue.

It is unmistakable once you have heard it. It is a rythmic clack, clack, clack.

It is easy with our fears to get caught up in the noises of the fan clutch, injectors, or HP fuel pump. But once you hear a set of chains rattling, you will know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM