Popping off the front grill..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

flowner

Do I need to remove the lights and fenders to get the bumper cover off?

I live in Fl in the area that had the flash floods on Friday (Bed Bath and Beyond roof collapse was behind my house).

I saw cars floating away. The LR3 drove like a boat. I had to fetch a few relative that had stalled out and push their cars out of the street.

The end result was I got a lot of debris in front grill and bumper cover. The grill came off easy enough but after removing lots of screws could not quite figure out how to get the bumper cover off. With the help of my wife I did eventually get all the debris out, but it would have been much easier if I could have removed the bumper cover.

S

schafari

Yes, you have to remove the lights and the plastic wheel well arches. As much as I wanted a short cut, it is not possible. There are a couple of screws behind each headlight for the bumper cover. I had to take it off to install two laser detection modules into the lower bumper air intake area. After hours of trying to get around it, I thru in the towel, and took it off.

Actually, once doing it, it is not bad at all. The headlights have a fantastic mounting gizmo. It is a sliding locking slot on one side. Same concept as on the back of items you hang on the wall with a round/big screw head hole, with an attached slot. I had to lever it up, but after that, it was actually quite impressive.

There are two frustrating screws on the lower splash guard to bumper in/under the wheel well areas. One on each side. These two screws took the most time. LR used a poor fastener. The screws were put in, but the fastener/clip actually is either to loose, or was to tight, and it strips the screw threads. After rigging some pressure points, and pushing from the top of the screw I was able to remove them. In putting them back in, I replaced the LR screw and fastener with a better quality one.

Other than those two screws, it came off quite easily. One recommendation. Get access to the GTR on-line service manual. A daily fee is only $12. You can print out the pages you need. Although I would much rather buy the service manual on CD or even printed, this actually was ok. The service manual contains critical info that you would spend hours trying to figure out otherwise. (Unless you break something, which is always a way to reduce time. . .)

Reaction score
Freeflytim said:
Headlights also pop out easy. just don't drop 'em!! and if you got xenons, don't go near them when they are on.
Hello,
You may have an answer for me, I am planning on replacing the stock halogens with either piaa h7 4500k or another brand that claims they produce 8500k and are DOT approved. I have a 2006 SE, I should have ordered the truck with the adaptive HID system. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotter lights

I hope someone can tell us also if there will be any problem with cooking the wiring when going to hotter after market bulbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9