popping out of drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motojunky

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 2011 LR4 HSE and I am developing a love/hate relationship. The compressor needed to be replaced. The hood sensor needed to be replace. Now my gas gauge is acting funny .... but my problem(safety issue) is the LR4 seems to go from drive to between drive and neutral. The shifter itself doesn't seem to move and when I push the shifter down(towards drive) all is fine, but I am assuming that it needs adjusting or something as it doesn't seem to be anything major, but just dangerous as it has done this when I am driving through an intersection. Any thoughts? Please help.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know if the 2010-2013 LR4 is identical to the LR3, but if so the shifter cable runs down under the center console pretty much in the center of the vehicle and forward toward the front end by 2-3 feet. There is a heat shield that is easy to remove under this area.

The cable has a tension "aparatus" or connection piece that holds it firmly onto another piece that changes the gears on the transmission. This piece can possibly become loose allowing for the cable to slip, but it is an easy fix. If you crawled under the LR4 and took off the shield it should be mostly self explanatory.

EDIT: I added a blurry photo of the gear selector cable that you can see when you remove the heatshield directly under the very front of the console area under the vehicle.

Where my finger it touching (the rust colored piece) is the part that "grips" the cable and connects it to that angled armature that rises above the cable in the photo. That angled piece is bolted to the transmission and essentially all the cable does is "click" that piece from slot to slot. If you remove the cable you can move it through all the gears by hand under the vehicle. This is where I would look to see if anything is not fully tightened.​

Again, I am not 100% if there were any changes from the LR3 to LR4 with this setup. Others may be able to confirm this.

Attachments

• Gear Selector Lever Cable Adjustment Web.pdf_Page_1.jpg
    Gear Selector Lever Cable Adjustment Web.pdf_Page_1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Gear Selector Lever Cable Adjustment Web.pdf_Page_2.jpg
    Gear Selector Lever Cable Adjustment Web.pdf_Page_2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20151017_180853.jpg
    20151017_180853.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

BobbyD

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 2011 LR4 HSE and I am developing a love/hate relationship. The compressor needed to be replaced. The hood sensor needed to be replace. Now my gas gauge is acting funny .... but my problem(safety issue) is the LR4 seems to go from drive to between drive and neutral. The shifter itself doesn't seem to move and when I push the shifter down(towards drive) all is fine, but I am assuming that it needs adjusting or something as it doesn't seem to be anything major, but just dangerous as it has done this when I am driving through an intersection. Any thoughts? Please help.
Renewing thread here: Gear shift popping or slipping out of Drive (D) to Neutral while driving - 2012 Land Rover, LR4 wife's truck so I didn't know there was a problem until I drove it. She said "it slips out of drive once in a while, on the highway...". Throwing a few codes or faults, not on dash, but with scanner (i.e. neutral safety switch, transmission, etc.). I decided to go for the linkage adjustment. It took about 6 minutes. Plenty of PB Buster or similar to break rust and debris, a 13mm socket and move cable 'north' towards the front. Pointed tip forward and tighten. It took a few small adjustments. works great. I've seen the threads where dealer says "new transmission". Hope this helps. ** Don't forget to chock the wheels both forward and backward so we don't get squished if it slips into neutral.
LR4 Linkage.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72