Power Outlet keeps shorting out- not the fuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

in2surfn

Reaction score
My 2010 LR4 HSE has a continual problem of the power outlet on the right side of the center console shorting out. Sometimes it happens when a device is plugged into it, sometimes it happens when a coin drops down in it (ok so who decided that putting an electrical outlet on a horizontal plane next to coin tray was a good idea????)

The fuses have not blown. So how do I fix it myself?

Thanks

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something. How does the power outlet "short out" without the related fuse blowing?

in2surfn

Reaction score
That has been my question for months now. This is the 5th time it has happened, each time I have checked both fuses (F52 and F53, 20 amps) to find they are fine. The dealer has told me "oh yeah we just had to replace the fuse".

This latest time a dime had fallen down into the power outlet while the car was turned off. I tried to remove the dime with my fingers, it made contact with the element in the middle of the outlet, I saw a small spark, and **** the outlet no longer works.

I pried the outlet out, there are no loose wires, the dime has vanished into the depths of the center console and I really don't want to have to go the dealership again for such a minor issue.

So now what?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check fuse 55, I believe that's the one for front and center aux sockets. 53 is for the cigarette lighter on the driver side. Don't know what fuse 52 is for... I believe fuse 63 is for the 12V socket in the trunk, but check that one as well, just to be safe.

And stop dropping coins down that hole, it's not a slot machine! :biggrin:

PS: If all those fuses check out, perhaps the relay is blown. Do the remaining sockets in the trunk and on the rear passengers front console still operate?

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
63 was the culprit. thanks for your help.

Glad you sorted it out. I gotta admit, the visual of you trying to remove the dime made me think of this:

Attachments

• operation.jpg
    operation.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 17

in2surfn

Reaction score
Thats what it felt like, although it was easier than the contortions I had to go thru to get the fuses in and out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4