Power Steering Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm on the road back from a trip to the Outer Banks, and I've got something odd going on with the power steering. As I turn the wheel, it seems to "stick" through certain areas, and gives considerable resistance. It's pretty much like steering a car that doesn't have power steering at all (but only until I turn a little more, then normal, then "stuck" again, etc) Also, no fluid appears to be leaving the reservoir while the engine is running. Does this seem like a failed power steering pump? Something else? It just doesn't seem consistent enough, as I would expect a failure of the pump to make the wheel difficult to turn at all. Just trying to figure out if there's anything I can check/do, since nobody will be open again until Monday at this point. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

I apologize for any typos, I'm tapping this out on the iPhone during a quick stop in DC.

Paul

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pump failure. I have replaced mine twice.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The truck made it all the way home without any other problems, so it doesn't seem like anything too major.

How was the steering pump job? Difficult? Expensive? I'm covered under extended warranty for a couple thousand more miles, but don't know if I feel like taking it in if I can fix the problem quickly.

Paul

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could be something much simpler , then a steering pump.I had the same symptoms, especially at low speeds, pulling out of parking lots,steering wheel does not wanted to go back after turn, also felt notchy.
there is a thread on Disco UK forum about that . Many members had that problem, but solution was a lot cheaper that replacing steering pump.Now i am not saying , that it is not your case, but you should start with a seized U-joint knuckle on the lower steering column.Just get access to that part and first spray the entire joint with a some grease, that does not run down too quickly( wd 40 will do, but not stay for long).Spray it , start the car and turn the wheels a few times left and right, re spraying areas after each turn, so you could get to every spot along with screw that holds the lower column to the upper column.You can reach to this area from the bottom of the LR3, after removing protective plates or from the top,between spare battery compartment and engine cover.
This procedure worked for all of us.You may want to replace a lower steering column down the road, but simple spraying will do wonders.It is a good places to start anyway , before shelling out for a steering pump.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had similar symptoms and had the power steering rack replaced (under warranty).

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to try to give the dealer a call in the morning, since it seems like it could be something rather involved. I'll try to make an appointment sometime in the next few days, and in the meantime try to lubricate the steering column as noted. I'l let everyone know what happens.

Thanks!
Paul

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

Update on this, in case anyone is interested. Dropped the truck at the dealer on Monday night, and yesterday they let me know that the lower steering column needs to be replaced entirely. They said that the u joint is siezed (like thorgal mentioned). I figure since its under warranty, it can't hurt to let them replace the whole assembly rather than try to get away with just lubricating the joint. Cost for the job is a little over $400, in case anyone is wondering, but I'll only have to pay my $100 warranty deductible. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys!

Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM