Powerchip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
Joey, glad to hear your results. You can track your progress online at trackyourgasmileage dot com. I started using it this month, it's a good way to keep track.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Pull the trailer easier, I would say yes, but it was the first time I pulled this trailer.... but it did better then the one I borrowed about a year ago, about the same size and weight.

I did get a check engine light on the last trip with the trailer... KNOCK sensors both sides... I don't think they liked all the extra weight... but they cleared easy enough.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted fuel economy updates (keep in mind this is mostly city driving with some highway - Cincinnati OH)

115 Mi 7.79 gallons = 14.76 MPG
201 Mi 12.79 gallons = 15.72 MPG

I can't complain... Highway I have been running over 70 MPH, in town I run hard from stop light to stop light... I am normally in a hurry for work.

edh

Reaction score
Cold Air Intake

Hi,
I noticed that you mention you have a cold air intake. Which one? Did you notice any improvement when you installed it.
Thanks for the great info about your powerchip.

Ed

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Air Force One installed, I really didn't notice any improvement when I installed it because the factory ECU settings limited what add ons I did.

So I have a free flowing exhaust and the cold air intake, but the ECU wouldn't let them work as well as they could. So with the ECU upgrade I am now getting the full benefit of my money.

Jupiter Rover

Reaction score
besides increased gas mileage, do you have an increase in hp, or torque as the site states? if you could get it Dyno tested that would be very beneficial.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, but plan to as soon as I buy a house (living out of a Hotel right now). Makes it kind of hard to get some things done. But I plan to try and get this done soon.

Jupiter Rover

Reaction score
Alright thanks joey!, hope the move in goes well. I have been thinking about putting a chip in my DII for a while. Thanks for all the output

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 5 years ago under the 7/100K mile coverage the 3.9 in the 95 D1 5 speed was replaced with a factory new 4.6 short block. Daily dry starts until I added a pre-oiler. This motor still has a dizzy that I worked with many hours recurving it plus run a vacuum advance unit from Oz. Rover's vacuum units are overpriced crap that took a crap many times on me until I got smart. Piper cam with lifters, heads rebuilt with mild port cleanup work, port matched with the intake manifold. I maintained the iron exhaust manifolds (California smog not wanting the goons to start looking around). Opened them up and port matched to the heads as well the down pipes, another POS with welds into the exhaust flow. Overall Rover's port alignment is crappy before adding the big casting lumps in the intake manifold runners, now opened up and smoothed up to the ram tubes. Added CarSound high flow cats, RPI "Tornado" chip that fuels fully until against the rev limiter, this chip made a big difference and only cost $280, (95 OB1, OB2 must cost more). Borla cat back exhaust. Added two pieces of 45 degree rubber intake tubing off a 80's Mustang intake system. This for a offset to replaced that under hood hot air snorkel, now gets cold ram air thru the radiator support behind the left headlight. This made a difference you can feel besides a lot less (90%) detonating on hot days under heavy loading. Less than a minute to replace stock snorkel for smog. TPS slotted and set for the proper puter voltage for proper F/A ratio. (10 seconds to return to stock setting for smog test). Without restricting the hot water hose just ahead of the throttle plate mounted under the plenum you'll reduce the cold air package advantage. I Added a brass slug into this line with a 1/16" hold to decrease the plenum air inlet temp. Without this restrictor that unit attached to the plenum would burn your hand within two minutes from a cold start. Restrictor added to the idle speed control motor hose for low cold start idle rpm's. Still have idle up when at operating temp for the AC.
As far as mileage with stock 235 tires, they suck need 255's with wider rims, 4 people on the highway between 70 to 80 mph I have repeated 17.5 to 18+ mpg. Who cares as it now has more power than that underpowered 3.9 motor. There must be a reason towards the end why Rover installed 4.6 motors in the Disco's? Yes passes Calif smog with ease like 1/20 of max allowed HC, super clean on the other gases. Original O2's at 122K miles. This is a daily driven street vehicle, stock height, way bigger sway (anti-roll) bars and HD springs.
Joey you still alive? Long time no posting by me.

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome back to the board so to speak... sounds like you Rover is running better than ever.

The RPI would be a better deal if it wasn't for the exchange rate causing the price to be a little steep.

When my 4.0 dies, my plan is for a 4.6 to be installed... don't want to spend the money, but can't wait till I get more power.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM