Pressure doesn’t decrease when venting gallery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a frequent suspension fault, used to be once in a while when I selected a height, but now it happens daily just driving. The code on my scanner is C1 A1 3-64/ Pressure doesn’t decrease when venting gallery. A little digging leads me to a bit of info on a clogged exhaust silencer? I’m thinking others have been down this path, hoping someone can get me started in the right direction to troubleshoot / fix this.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a compressor. I got that message and it gave me 2 years until it finally quit on me. A simple start/restart got rid of the fault. Sometimes i just ignored it and it went away during the drive. When it does quit though it’ll say normal height available. Either the desiccant inside the canister is all caked up from moisture and blocking the exhaust valve or the pump internals are failing. Theres a kit that’s available on amazon/ebay. That refurbishes the canister. That’s basically what makes these pumps go out. I however didn’t want to deal with the repair and wanted a new hitachi pump. This one lasted 11 years. I figured the rebuild would only give me a few years if that.

X8R AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR DRYER REPAIR KIT COMPATIBLE WITH LAND ROVER LR4 / DISCOVERY 4 2010-ON, PART # X8R40 / X8R0040 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYYPKCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F82PHXRVE763EYVTX5J4

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the desiccant replacement and it was straight forward. It's straight forward if you want to give it a shot.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to try the desiccant replacement and see what happens. The plan is to sell my LR4, I love it, but it needs timing chains done, and I don't have the time to get it done myself.

greg00

Reaction score
I have the same fault. Used to be once in a while, now always. Sometimes immediately at start or after a few miles.
I changed compressor, air tank, front and middle valve blocks. Even replaced the exhaust valve on the new compressor because I thought it was broken from the beginning.
I'm going to change rear valve block next.
Any suggestions ?

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same code today. The warning message was amber and it prompted me to clear it by pressing "OK". It's weird because my driveway slopes upwards considerably from the street to the garage and regardless of whether I park head in or tail in, whatever part is elevated will self-level after about 10 seconds once I exit the rig. If that's the case, it must be elevating when I drive down a flat road and I can hear the air hiss when it self-levels in my drive. To me, that says the air suspension is working.

By the way, my scan tool showed that the gallery was somewhere in the mid-50s psi when I was parked with the engine running at idle in normal mode after the fault. Reading other posts, that sounds about right for those circumstances. I probably should just get a new compressor. Sounds like mine is on the way to being shot.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly the issue I had (C1A13-64); please take a look at my journey on this particular thread:

For me it ended up being wrong ECU firmware for the installed compressor but to get to this I tried fixing a lot of things! FWIW, the LR4 can run with either a Hitachi compressor or an AMK compressor; Hitachi were used up to about 2012; then AMK after that but with ECU firmware you can use either brand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut