Problems with steering wheel surface

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...when I brought the car to the dealer per instructions from LRNA, the service manager was very unprofessional...

Do you know his name, was it Tony? I am just wondering if he is still there. The Owner of the Anaheim dealer just opened up the new location in [edit]Cerritos and it seems like half the staff left the Anaheim location to start the other. Then a few of the senior guys after that left for other reasons, so they are hurting for manpower and experience.

I don't mind the Anaheim dealership, as I know many of the mechanics there and they do a good job, but lately, they have been cranking Saturday and Sundays too. I have yet to have my truck worked on the same day of my appointment, sometimes not even the same WEEK!

The Newport Dealership used to be pretty bad from what I've heard, but they have a new service manager and my recent experiences with them have been great. I made an appointment, dropped it off, they called me a few hours later, and it was done AND it was fixed! Their parts guys are good too.

Generally, Anaheim's labor rate is cheaper, but Newport (and Mission also - same franchise) are MUCH cheaper when it comes to parts, as they don't mark them up over MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

delazkar

Not it wasn't Tony. The one giving me hell there is the service manager himself. His name is Tim Brooks. He was ticked that I had brought the car it to have the steering wheel evaluated.

I dealt with Tony before and he is pretty good.

In terms of the service provided as you said at Anaheim Hills Land Rover, you can first never get a timely appointment and then, once you take it in, they rarely ever get it done the same day. One day they had my truck for 2 days and when I called them they said they hadn't even put it in the bay yet. So I had been driving around in a loaner car (some small car rental) for 2 days for them to have my car in their garage parked. Not very cool.

I am printing this thread and taking it with me, to discuss the replacement of the steering wheel. If anyone around the Southern California area has had theirs replaced under warranty, please let me know where you had it done.

Thank you,

Del.

ayates

Reaction score
Steering Wheel surface problem

Hi delazkar,

My dealer is Landrover Houston North (Houston,TX), they just took one look on Friday last and said yes they knew of the problem and would change it once a part came in, they called me later that day to say they had a steering wheel available and I go in on Wednesday morning to get it sorted.... all under warranty, no questions asked.

Cheers,

Adrian

D

delazkar

Adrian,

Thanks for your reply. I called LR Houston North and spoke with Jackie. I can tell just by talking with the folks there that the level of service they are providing is at a different level than my current dealer. Jackie confirmed that they see have seen the problem with the steering wheel and that they replace them under warranty.

I dropped my car off on Friday, and to date (Tuesday 10AM) I haven't received any phone call from the dealer. Not even to let me know that they are working on it or anything. I'll be giving them a call real soon...

Thank you again and I will keep you posted, in hopes to help others as you have helped me.

Del.

ayates

Reaction score
3 cups of coffee a walk around the showroom a few times one comp car wash and 80mins later I now have a nice smooth new steering wheel fitted from my nice LR dealer here in Houston whom I guess are pressing all their customers to give them a shining report on an upcoming JDPOWERS survey. But they did a good job and the coffee was ok so **** stars from the Texas Judge... now all I need is a good deal on my next LR :)

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are replacing mine under warranty as well. Looks like LR3 steering wheels just went through a bad stretch :smile:

Kudos to most dealers, seem to be taking care of this without a fuss.

M

MNRover

2005 Rover LR3 88000 miles. Steering wheel bad at 38000 miles. Normal wear and tear. After replacing second set of tires at 38000, I saw the recall info about the vehicle eating wheels. Again out of warranty, LR has no fix just re-align again (sixth time). Brakes have been totally replaced twice and squeak and squeal...again told normal for LR to squeak...told me they would apply super grease, but the problem would come back in three months. Bluetooth doesnt work...dealers response "yeah we don't have a fix for that." Radio shuts off and goes into phone mode on it's own then comes back after 20 minutes...LR reponse"yeah we don't have a fix for that. but see it alot" This is LR of Minneapolis. Problem is the market is cornered as they have no competition. So service is really shoddy. The vehicle itself is wonderful it just has the LR ghosts in it, and the dealer does'nt have to care about service because if you want a Rover here, you have to go to them. Great product, with poor service. Possibly more competition would improve service, because here in Minnesota LR Minneapolis is unfortunately all there is.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoldiersLR3

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my '05 LR3; the steering wheel was replaced under warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635