Prolonged engine choke operation when starting from cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about it, but low on priority list.
Intermittent squeaking brakes which I need to address but weather too crappy and occasional slight burning smell. No one rotor seems to be any hotter than others. Burning smell may or may not be related.......oil / trans fluid leak onto something hot? No visible signs of leaking anywhere, but again, car parked outside so less easy to see. Plan to check each wheel for ease of rotation and hopefully just have to re-lube pad pins.

Winegrower

Reaction score
And respectfully I wouldn't be too concerned about our LR4s as long as the Chinese are in business with their coal fired powerplants.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.
Having said that if there is an economic case for phasing out fossil fuels (and there is), then China will be all over it and from what I hear, they are already advancing. This compares to Western politicians who waffle with one eye on getting re-elected. I think the west will collectively lag behind China at some point in terms of reductions in GHG emissions.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Not a major issue, but wondering if easy fix?
Have noticed this winter on cold startup the revs are staying at 1,200rpm when I shift into drive resulting in a bit of a jolt as drive engages. If I blip the gas before engaging drive, revs stay at 1,200rpm instead of non-choke 600rpm. In Toronto so weather reasonably cold. Just do not recall experiencing this in winters past. Of course could sit there for a few mins to wait till choke disengages, but prefer to avoid idling re. Burning gas for no reason.
2010 LR4, V8, 100k miles

I'd suspect the engine coolant temp sensor is giving the wrong resistance value to the ECM in thinking the engine is much colder than it actually is hence "FUEL ENRICHMENT" being longer duty cycle allowing engine to run properly until up to operating temp. Warm or up to normal operating temp the engine will respond normal at leaner F/A ration than at cold start temps.
There is no "CHOKE" on any EFI equipped engines..
As far as initial cold start revs it's true manufacrures added this feature to decrease the time the CAT's get up to operating temp and begin working properly converting nasty exhaust by-products to less harmful products.

Personally, high revving any engine from stone cold especially your up north cold climate condition increases engine wear a lot more than a cold started engine in lests say a 68*F morning like in California as example.
Cold starts especially with a high revving initial rpm's amounts to arond 90% of your normal engine wear.

Don't forget thick cold oil along with no oil pressure after a hot shutdown the night before your intial high revs startup your engine has no oil pressure, wear city to the max.

I had 3,100 initial cold start rpm idle before oil pressure was developed. I installed a 3 quart (MasterLube.org) pre-oiler along with restricted the IAC bypass hose reducing initial cold start rpm's to 925 rpm's which when hot the ECU holds at 775 rpm's idle.
Way less cold start engine wear along with before the crank ever rotates the engine has received 8-10 seconds pressurized oil (adjustable timer) at 38 psi to the engine. Every internal part lubed and dripping especially the crank now able to sling oil "upstairs" oil into the cylinder bores.
I prefer my engines especially the 4.9 (antique to many people stroked 4.6 LR engine) to a long healthy 300K mile life and not an oil burner due to excessive uneccessary preventable wear. Very low leakdown compression checks vs any "as delivered factory brand engines" no matter the brand. Engine "GearHead" to the max at this end.
Yes a POS vs OHC to many, a 95 Disco One with 5 speed, Mark Adams chip along with several internal mods, she's a keeper 23 years and counting DIY maintenance zero no touch by Stealerships.

JMO, besides battery and block heater a Pre-Oiler system install if I lived up north in your climate vs near the S.F. Bay area. Mountains (fly fishing) along with Gold country or the ocean a couple minutes and hours reached including up to 9,996' mountain passes. I like to buzz the twisties in safety after suspension mods applied.

My "carbon Footprint" has been known to include two long 12" wide rubber streaks behind the MPI 484 cu/in Ford FE series engine I built for the 68 F250 Camper Special. Improved gas mileage vs carbs a plus along with the increased fun factor.....~~=o&o>.......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And respectfully I wouldn't be too concerned about our LR4s as long as the Chinese are in business with their coal fired powerplants.

Thank You, your reply is the best others do not factor into world pollution issues.
Hell no coal fired generating plants allowed in Kalifornia so they (Kalifornia) now buy electricity instead from Arizona where they operate coal fired generators last recalled then transmit electricity to Kalifornia.
Dirty is dirty no matter where electricity is generated at.

Chyna along with other countries like South America slash and burn forests, couple years later their crops can not produce after topsoils have washed away. Lost Co2 converted to O2 along with animal life threatened and or or becoming extinct.

They already put the Pollution screws to us in Kalifornia, LOW NOX water heaters that the Cat material when older turn into fire traps increasing the chance of burning your houses down. This called progress?

Last read one older reactor is getting refueled and put back on line for another five years vs slowly disassembled.
Energy thirsty appliances increasing all along now heating homes by 100% electricity only, add more electric cars also increasing the demand on the electrical grid.
Solar roof panels are a joke during winter while raining when your engergy demand is highest living indoors.

No problem, electricity is MAGIC, it comes out of the plug in the wall of your house.
Reactors take years to construct and come online, years to disassemble, wake up people and think about more houses being built along with future "BROWN OUTS" coming your way in your future......~~=o&o>.......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.
Having said that if there is an economic case for phasing out fossil fuels (and there is), then China will be all over it and from what I hear, they are already advancing. This compares to Western politicians who waffle with one eye on getting re-elected. I think the west will collectively lag behind China at some point in terms of reductions in GHG emissions.
Check out the "SAND GRAB" article, Chyna taking sand and building islands along with increasing their land mass, sand from other countries. Wake up world, Chyna thinks long term taking over the world, you thought that wack job "scatter brains" leader of Germany 1930's era was bad. Not to get into any political debates or BS, this is shocking. Already Taiwan and what next Austraila next in their gunsights?.....~~=o&o>.......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.
GHG emissions, lookout cows your next requiring Cat converters shoved up yout butts. More funtional to install them at both ends of politicians here in Kalifornia, other 49 states included.

One friend of a friend (electrical engineer not a stupid person) installed massive solar panels (he has 24 acres land) along with a massive collection of batteries. Several large invertors allowing 120 and 230 volt AC he's 100% off the grid. Power company supplying his area since he's not paying one cent to them they tacked on a required $700 annual fee he must pay.

Another eletrician I know up in Oregon has a 140*F underground stream on the property. he tapped into it with a water to water intercoolers along with plumbing, fractional Hp and currernt draw circulation pumps. Heating his house, washing machine and all hot lines including hot tub out on his deck looking into his forest. Thermal generator next in his thinking along with the cold water out of one of the ponds on the property.
He's not your average electrician also a certified welder, 580 Case Backhoe (rescued), mini sit on top steam roller.

Even has an antique 8' Aeromotor windmill attached to a modern day high efficiency generator another pet toy project not a critical must have energy source. Talk about a person ahead of others not costing $10,000 and up to save a dime. Giant solar oven like the folding back packers use instead it's 40 to 50 times larger.....~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99