Cooling System Enquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin B

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Landrover Owners,

let me start by saying i live in Sydney and the current Temp here is in excess of 43deg cel, this is somewhat related to my enquiry, now onto my post,

When i start my Discovery (93Mod with 265,000km) from cold and start driving my Temp gauge slowly rises as it should but it goes past the halfway mark as stated in the operator manual as the correct operating temp all the way up 1-2 needle thicknesses below 3/4, never above (this takes about 10mins), once it reaches that level it rapidly goes down to halfway mark and that is were it sits only varying a needle thickness either side no matter how long i drive or weather the air temp is 20Deg or 45Deg or even how much throttle i give her, it never rises back up again during the trip, this only happens in the morning or after she has been sitting a few hours and has cooled right down, there are no coolant leaks and she runs very well, i'm not even really sure if this is a problem but it does seem peculiar as i have never had or seen a vehicle do this before, i gave a local mechanic (not a Landrover mechanic) a call and his best guess was that she is heating up to fully open the thermostat once it is fully open it settles down to normal operating temperature and thats were it stays till it cools again then it has to go through the same process next time it heats up, this does seem plausible to me, however not being to familiar with Landrover temperament i thought i would post here to see if any other owners has experienced the same thing.

your thoughts and advise would be most welcome.

P.S - she had a new thermostat replaced by the previous owner about 5000k ago, not sure if it was doing the same before that as i have only had the vehicle about 3 weeks and it has done it since then.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have guessed either thermostat or temp sensor, but if the thermostat has been replaced...

You can always remove the thermostat and test it by placing a *** of water on high heat on the stove (hopefully you have a good laser or food thermometer) and test at what temperature it opens.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your viscus fan clutch may be failing and or the radiator may be plugging up and in need of a good flush.
Do you know how to check the viscus clutch?

ysaga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 97 disco was doing that and was the fan clutch :hello:

Kevin B

Reaction score
thanks all for the replies, sorry for the delay, work always gets in the way,

im not sure how to check the Mike, if you could steer me in the right direction that would be great thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49