Q About Changing Shocks & Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbris1

Reaction score
Just picked up a 96 4.0 & the right front dips more than the rest of the truck when going over bumps. Plus the overall ride is just sloppy so I'm thinking it's time to replace the shocks.

Before I do this, could it be anything else? The EAS is functioning properly.

Also, when I depress the brake pedal I can hear the pump run for about 2 seconds, & the BRAKE, TC & ABS lights come on them go out. Bad accumulator?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Miles on the RR?

Miles on current shocks?

Miles/years since last Brake fluid change?

bigbris1

Reaction score
The Rangie has 120K on the clock. I have no idea of service history. All I know is everything that was wrong with the 4.6 is good on the 4.0 & vice versa.

bigbris1

Reaction score
Someone on another forum said this can't be bad shocks. The reason I first suspected the shocks was that on other cars (I have owned 10 other cars) when one shock blows or goes dead the uneven dampening is evident especially on even dips in the road. Since the Rangie is higher up in the air, I attributed this sloppiness over bumps to the shocks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
At 120k, if they haven't been changed I would say the shocks need changing... I would also change the steering stabilizer as well. Basically another shock.

It could also be due to the panhard rod bushings going bad....

I know my disco with 90k on the clock when I changed the shocks you could easily compress the old ones...

New ones I couldn't hardly move.

G

grizzle

Just picked up a 96 4.0 & the right front dips more than the rest of the truck when going over bumps. Plus the overall ride is just sloppy so I'm thinking it's time to replace the shocks.

Before I do this, could it be anything else? The EAS is functioning properly.

Also, when I depress the brake pedal I can hear the pump run for about 2 seconds, & the BRAKE, TC & ABS lights come on them go out. Bad accumulator?

I have the same thing happening with the BRAKE, TC, & ABS lights coming on when I brake. I have a 96 4.0 as well. Let me know if you can make that stop.

D

davebl

You might consider replacing the airbags to Arnott GENIII's. We have had phenomenal success with these. The ride quality is leaps and bounds above stock.

bigbris1

Reaction score
After doing a little research I just pulled the trigger on a set of Pro Comp ES9000 shocks. I got a great deal at $129 for all 4 from 4wheelonline.com.

I'm sure this will tighten her back up.

As far as the ABS/TC/BRAKE lights, I noticed just now that the ABS kicks in at low braking. I suspect the PO had aftermarket wheels (large wheels) on her & maybe when they were removed, something was loosened. Gotta check that out, too.

Also, I had her scanned at a local Autozone & the codes I got were:

P1775
P0727
P0722

which all relate to the tranny & drivetrain. I plan on taking her to another shop with a better scan tool tomorrow to run the test again & reset the CEL & SEL.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ABS is probably a dirty or bad ABS sensor... Normal issue.

Your codes sound like you need to clean the MAF sensor... pick up some non-residue contact cleaner and remove it... thoroughly clean it... let dry and reinstall. Don't forget to clean the connectors.

bigbris1

Reaction score
OK I changed out the ABS accumulator & she brakes much better now, plus the BRAKE warning light doesn't come on when I depress the pedal.

I still get the TC & ABS lights after a while so I'm thinking it might be a sensor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM