Question about buddy's LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

stevegittings

Hello,
Just dropping by here. A friend recently purchased a LR3 and is curious about its off road ability. I've volunteered to take him out to an easy 4x4 park and follow me around in my Jeep TJ. His rig looks plenty capable to handle the trails I intend to take him to, but I have a concern about the factory tires. Most SUV's I see sport tires not rated for off road use, so are the stock tires on his LR3 up to the task?

I usually go by a P vs LT rating on the tire, but his tires lack this rating that he can see.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve G.

F

Freeflytim

Cool! It will surprise you on how well it will do.

The tires are not 'off road' tires but they will survive. Ive beat the heck out mine and have a couple of cuts here and there to show for it and Ive had no problems.

If you go into rocky areas, the rims will show damage.

On this ride LRs with mud tires had to get winched... I didn't.
I made 7 Land Rover 'old timers' all believers in the new DS/LR3.

stevegittings said:
Hello,
Just dropping by here. A friend recently purchased a LR3 and is curious about its off road ability. I've volunteered to take him out to an easy 4x4 park and follow me around in my Jeep TJ. His rig looks plenty capable to handle the trails I intend to take him to, but I have a concern about the factory tires. Most SUV's I see sport tires not rated for off road use, so are the stock tires on his LR3 up to the task?

I usually go by a P vs LT rating on the tire, but his tires lack this rating that he can see.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve G.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AussieLR3

I haven't done much mud bashing like Tim but in the dry the standard tyres will cope with rocky tracks and loose dirt tracks since the traction control keeps it well under control.

The standard tyres will cut up on the tread blocks but the D3/LR3 stock tyres cope pretty well but you do have to think of punctures being more likely with a road tyre vers and off-road tyre.

Chris

S

stevegittings

Thanks folks, appreciate the info. The trails are over glacial till so most rocks are like river rock. He should be fine.

F

Freeflytim

Make sure you give us a recap after you take your buddies cherry!

S

stevegittings

Ain't gonna happen

I was just out to the park I intended to take him to. Logging activity around it has changed the character of the park. The interesting hill climbs I had hoped to take him on are gone. What is left are flat, tight, twisty trails that would have him in multi-point turn hell. He would simply add to the missing bark count on the trees lining the trail.

I will be taking him out to a large gravel pit instead and get him familar with his rig there and then if he is still interested, I'll let him drive my TJ through the park.

Thanks for the info folks, bye.
Steve G.

F

Freeflytim

Great! Good way for him to get some confidence in himself... and truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635