question about transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question I guess it is about my transmission.
I just had all the fluids replaced in my LR3 2005. Lately I have found that when I put it in reverses or drive it feels like the transmission is rolling for a lack of a better description. The car is not moving but feels like the gears in the transmission is moving.
Any advise on this or is it natural. Have 63000 mile on the car..

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go by the owners manual and use the correct ATF, have to verified the fluid level?

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took it to a shop that services Rovers....so i assume they put the correct fluid in...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny Oil and Filter change cost me $800.00,

Below is a link to some files I have re the ZF 6HP26X six speed transmission that is in our LR3's. Probably the shop used the correct oil but I might say the fill technique is tricky.

A few months back I had the tranny oil changed and the cost was about eight hundred dollars for labour, oil, and the plastic pan/filter combo. In your case, it may be that they did not change the pan/filter but even if not, the cost should still have been a few hundred dollars. To change the pan/filter, they have to lift the engine and transmission a couple of inches to clear a frame cross bar member.

In my case, the oil change also made a noticeable difference, but a good one. I now get between 60 and a 100 miles extra range out of a tank of petrol and better acceleration from a red light. It was an independent transmission shop that did the work but they used the official Land Rover ZF six speed oil.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good feed back bbyer.
Gomoney, never assume anything when it comes to your Rover, what did they charge you, exactly what did you work order show and be specific?

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure they used the right landrover mineral oil and was filled properly at the right temperature. or else it will cause big problems. if they drained all your fluid out your looking at about 7 qts of fluid. wich the fluid is pretty pricey.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny oil quantity from 4 to 10 litres required depending ...

Regarding tranny oil, the Land Rover part number is TYK500050 for the 6HP26X tranny.
The Shell number is M-1375.4 but you cannot buy it retail from Shell. The container size is 1 litre.

A simple oil change where the pan/filter combo is not changed takes about 3.5 to 4 litres of oil. When the tranny is brand new, a dry fill can take up to 9.5 litres of oil however as above, around 7 litres is more common for when a new pan/filter combo is installed to an already in use transmission.

bonnettoboot

Reaction score
Does anyone have rebuild details for the ZF4 HP22 tranny in my defender?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM