Question for LR4 owners that switched to 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equalizer

Reaction score
Duratracs 265/60 fit inflated in the spare well. When winching it in or out you might need a couple of kicks to get the wheel unstuck.
Was told you can fit a 265/65 under inflated... didn't try that one.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, 265/65/18 has a nominal size of 31.5" in diameter.

But there are some minor differences in the actual size to which the tires are manufactured. KO2s seem to run a bit small. A few other 265/65/18 tires are actually 31.7. We're talking fractions of an inch, but with the amount of clearance in the wheel well, it starts to matter.

I am using Cooper Discoverer LT (e load) in 265/65/18, and occasionally see a TINY bit of rubbing against the passenger side frame horn. It must be when compressed at full lock or something, since it kinda comes and goes.

What size tire did you mount? For daily driving or just offroad use?

I'm considering the jump to 18 and would prefer to be able to get into 265/65/18 over 265/60/18s, but don't want to deal with rubbing.

TuffAnt, who I'm currently leaning towards for 18" wheels, suggests there might be some "slight rubbing" in "full lock" and "when new," which is a fair number of variables.

So I'm wondering what experiences have been re: rubbing with tires folks have mounted on 18s.

kenk

Reaction score
I have the TuffAnts with 265/65 KO2s and there is slight rubbing only in full lock right in reverse. No need to cut or trim anything. The picture is normal height.

6EC6E803-AFA8-4AF3-BB37-7B45141E59CA.jpeg

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the TuffAnts with 265/65 KO2s and there is slight rubbing only in full lock right in reverse. No need to cut or trim anything. The picture is normal height.

View attachment 10171

Those are the black or the gray? They look pretty solid. Happy with them?

I think I can live with slight rubbing, only in full lock and only when in reverse. :) Somehow I don't think I'll spend much time in that situation.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now a few months in with my 18" Compomotives & 265/60 X 18 BFG A/T KO2's. I'm very happy I didn't to to 265/65's as there's not much room to spare in the guards. I've spoken to two owners who went to the 265/65's on Compo's & they've both had rubbing issues. The sidewalls on the 265/60's are
plenty tall enough - need to play with tire pressures though in sand/mud etc. You can't go quite as low as with the '65's. The tire & wheel combination has been great with our very flinty rocks in some of our Aussie Outback areas. Also the speedo is barely affected by that tire/wheel combination.
I'm very happy with how quiet they are & fuel consumption has barely increased
As I've said before in the forum; the LR D4 is the BEST allround offroader period!! Don't mess around with
spacers or cutting - no need. Just bite the bullet & buy the best wheels & tires available. Plus, the Compo's look vastly better than any other wheels available. Vehicle is dark Corris gray with "Anthracite" Compo's.
I'm 71 and intend keeping my D4 TDV6 as long as I can drive. I'll replace the KO2's when required and keep enjoying driving my beast.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now a few months in with my 18" Compomotives & 265/60 X 18 BFG A/T KO2's. I'm very happy I didn't to to 265/65's as there's not much room to spare in the guards. I've spoken to two owners who went to the 265/65's on Compo's & they've both had rubbing issues.

Interesting, I've heard from multiple sources that 265/65s on an ET44 wheel shouldn't rub. Now, that depends on the tire, I suppose, but there are multiple popular options that I'm told do not rub (except maybe slightly in full lock/reverse).

Anyway, yeah, I hear you -- I think all of us in this situation would love to drop $2k on Compos ... but unfortunately that's just not practical for all of us, especially when the 18" steelie solutions are less than half that price.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 265/65 BFG KO2s on compos without any rubbing. I’m not easy on my rig either. Haven’t had any issues. MY13 LR4

Xplorer

Reaction score
2016 LR4, Compomotives, 265/65R18 BFG KO2s. No rubbing at full lock at any height. Slight deflation of spare to fit down under (25 psi). Very happy with the setup.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 LR4, Compomotives, 265/65R18 BFG KO2s. No rubbing at full lock at any height. Slight deflation of spare to fit down under (25 psi). Very happy with the setup.

Sounds just about perfect. Now I just need to find an extra $1200 for the Compos. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV