Question for those with a rodmod lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I would ask this question in the LR3 forum as I doubt many of my LR4 bretheren have lifted thier trucks yet.

For those of you that have lifted your trucks with shorter rods (Johnson Rods, Toddco or Sasquatch) how much lift do you think you really need to clear a 31.9" tire like the Goodyear Silent Armour in 275 55 20? I know Johnson Rods are sationary at a lift of 2.5 inches, but I doubt that it needs to be that much of a lift to clear a 2" taller tire. Many of the 31.4" tires are borderline and may or may not require a lift. Do you think I could get a way with 1.5" of lift and run the above tire?

I'm trying not to make the truck too tall for my family to get into. My wife and daughters have to work to climb in if I forget to lower the truck to access mode with the stock tires and no lift. I'm afraid that after adding an inch of height with larger tires, and 2.5" of height with a lift it will be a poor experience every time they ride in the LR4.

By the way, when I select access mode on my LR4 it seems to settle on the bump stops. After a suspension lift with rods, will it no longer settle that far down? I assume that it will lower to a point above the current access mode.

Any help and opinions on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good questions Rob. I've lifted quite a few LR4's now and a full 2-1/2" looks funny because of the 19" or 20" options on tires. The big gap between the tire and the wheel arch makes the rig look like it's on it's tip-toes. 1-1/2" is just about right and will clear the tires no problem. I don't know what to say about the bumpstop issue when hitting Access Mode. Technically speaking, this should go away with a lifted height - regardless of brand. If your rig is a DD, I'd lean to the least amount of lift required to deal with the new tire size. The road manner will be better and the Little Ladies won't groan every time they try to get in. Like I said, 1-1/2" should be fine - if you need or want more lift down the road, they're adjustable.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that an inch taller tire only needs .5" of wheel well room. The other half lifts the truck. I run zeon LTZ 285-60/18 and have a tire diameter of 31.46 and could not go any larger without a lift kit. It rubs on full left turn in reverse. I think this is more of a function of the 285mm width versus the height though.

Recommend nerf bars if you don't off road heavily or sliders with steps if you do. My daughter is 2.5 and the nerf bar is plenty of help to get in and out. Hope this helps.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Wondered what 2.5" of lift would look like when only going 2" taller on the tire. I can see how increasing the gap of fender to tire by 1.5" might upset the appearence of the truck.

I'm going to seriously look at the adjustable rods. I really thought about the Johnson rods as they are on sale this month for $99. But I think they might change the truck too much for what I want.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackforestham,

Sorry, it took me a while to realize who you were. I should have gotten from your message that you were the guy behind the Sasquatch rods. I feel honored that you piped in here to to help with my questions.

Yep, it's my daily driver and I wanted to get away with the least amount of lift to clear the tires I wanted to run. I use my truck offroad occasionally when in CO and UT but it has to function as a people/cargo hauler most of the time. The more aggresive tires are really what I am looking for, so the lift is a means to the end.

Are there any deals going on for the Sasquatch rods? I hear it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Thanks for your help again,

Rob

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
If it were me I'd go with Sasquach adjustable and lift only about 2". I'm on 31.5 and don't really need a huge wheel gap, plus I feel more comfortable taking it easy on the CV angles... Which probably doesn't matter at all, BTW.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Rob! Yeah, I go low profile on a number of sites. Sometimes it's just fun to be a Member of a forum vs a Vendor. I'll shoot you a PM.

Cheers,

Dave

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks for your advice and the PM. I look forward to getting my LR4 lifted.

Rob

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how it works out for you as I want to get redbourne 20" wheels with the Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/50/20 but worried about rubbing on my 06 LR3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM