Question on gas grade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have own my rover for 4 years now. I always put 87 in my tank. Should i try a higher grade sometimes? Can 87 grade affect my rover. I was just wondering because i saw on the forum were some guys are using a higher grade on their rovers.I have 124,000 now and it rides pretty good so far with the 87 grade. Starts up fine everytime i fire it up in morning. I want to know will the higher grade give me better performance,and longer life on my engine. One more thing. I will be replaceing my rad and need to get my a/c condensers fans replace to. Does anyone no were i can get reasonable fans for a good price. Atlantic British is about 300.00 a fan. Why are they so munch a peice? Any feed-back guys Thanks!!!!! 99 disco 1 SD 124,000

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bunch of reasons to use higher octane. It'll cost you more in my opinion to repair the damage of a low octane.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found my 96 rover runs better and gets better fuel mileage w/ 93 octane. If I were you I would run some seafoam through the next couple of tanks and one can in the intake to clean out carbon deposits in the intake valves and other junk in the injectors. There's a write up on this site. So, search for that if you're unsure of how to do the seafoam treatment.

I know every truck is different but mine seems to run best on the Shell 93 octane. Of course, I was also using some B-12 Chemtool in the gas tank at the same time. So, to be scienctific and such I would need to eliminate the Chemtool and just run the Shell 93 for several tanks, check the fuel mileage then reintroduce the Chemtool and check the fuel mileage again. Anyway, right now I'm getting 13-13.5 mpg around town. Lot's of stop and go.

Probably more than you wanted to know about my truck, but there it is.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the simple facts:

There's a certain number of btu's per amount of fluid. (let's use a gallon)

Generally:

The higher the octane, the more available btu's

the more btu's, the higher potential horsepower

more horsepower, less pedal pressure

less pedal, better fuel economy

higher btu, less pre-detonation (engine ping)

less ping, knock sensors ****** spary less (even more horsepower)

you get the picture.

the fact that it seems to run ok, doesn't mean it's running efficiently.

not to mention potential for carbon buildup in combustion chambers (increasing compression & causing more ping as well as less efficient combustion)

If you check your mpg now, convert to 91 or higher, you'll have to run several tanks thru' b/4 the ECU remaps timing, injectors, etc.

then check your mpg again.

I've gotten over 20 mpg on trips @ 65 w/cruise.

I'd say 14-16mpg around town

luck,greg

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replys. I will try a higher grade next fill up. I will get back with you with results. Thanks!!!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a higher grade but the highest grade, be it 91 or 93, u=other wise you will be looking at less power, MPG and a build up of carbon that will cost you a valve job in the end.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See now taytum 98 I told you there was a bunch of reasons to use 93 octane. They know of what they speak.

Urq

Reaction score
See now taytum 98 I told you there was a bunch of reasons to use 93 octane. They know of what they speak.

Wish we could get 93 at the pump here in Southern California the highest we have at the pump is 91 or there are a few 76 stations that sell race fuel unleaded at 105 but it is like $7.00 a gal!
My Audi like that stuff but my bank account does not......lol

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in virgina. we have 89,92 Should i use 92 sometimes or everytime i fill up.Thanks for the feed-back guys!!!!

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Urq: sorry to hear that. Seems to me if I bought a vehicle in a state that they would want to provide the given octane required after all less emissions I would think. And taytum: my book calls for 93 so that's what I use every fill up and I don't know why but I prefer shell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM