Quick question about paint and low battery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I went and looked at a 2013 model with 61K miles on it yesterday. The price is definitely right BUT....there is a reason LOL! The salesman told me a bit about the previous owner. He was an outdoor enthusiast and it showed. The LR4 obviously had been used as a utility vehicle, not a pampered soccer mom mobile. It was still in decent shape overall but it had been purpose used and rougher than you usually see in the used market, especially for the year.

I noticed that the hood had a spot where the clear coat on the paint was already peeling. Is this a common issue?

Also the battery had died and they had to jump it. The info screen read that the system was doing a self check (or something to that effect) It had several warning lights on including the check engine light. I could not get the screen to show the gas guage, temp gauge etc.

Is that normal after the battery going so low?

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you intend to use it? Is the paint being messed up going to bother you? Does it have pin stripes from branches?

They obviously need to replace the battery and ensure it isn't throwing codes if its going to be on a lot... thats not something you should have to deal with unless its super cheap as is type deal and they don't want to mess with it... if that was the case run away.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you intend to use it? Is the paint being messed up going to bother you? Does it have pin stripes from branches?

They obviously need to replace the battery and ensure it isn't throwing codes if its going to be on a lot... thats not something you should have to deal with unless its super cheap as is type deal and they don't want to mess with it... if that was the case run away.

I plan on using it as a daily driver for work and we are very active so quite a bit for camping, towing, etc. It will be used to its capabilities. So being a little rough already doesn't bother me too much. It was just surprising to see that paint peeling on such a new vehicle.

The interior is in real good shape but it reeks of smoke LOL!

It doesn't have any tree branch lines down the side, so that's good at least. No dents either. It had a few scuffs in the paint on the sides though. I noticed the plastic piece below the window, under the wipers is kinda chalky and the honey comb vented areas have a hole in each of them as well. They seem kinda brittle.

The dealership said that they hadn't had any interest in it so they just haven't minded it like they should. The sales manager said they'd definitely put a new battery in it.

How long does the system take to run a check
I drove it for a good 20 minutes and it never moved.

Meh, They are asking $34K but I wouldn't give them that for it. I might low ball them at $28K and if they don't take that offer, I'll gladly walk. I don't think it's worth more than that to me at this point.

I might just walk from it anyway,

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't pay a whole lot more than their asking price for an immaculate 2012 with 20k less miles and a CPO warranty good for 100k total miles and another 3 years.

I would walk away from this one.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke would be a deal killer for me.

I can actually get that smell almost completely out....but they don't know that yet :wink:

I might have to go do a demo for them later LOL!

Last edited:

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't pay a whole lot more than their asking price for an immaculate 2012 with 20k less miles and a CPO warranty good for 100k total miles and another 3 years.

I would walk away from this one.

That's interesting. I know they are asking too much for this one. Incidentally, LR4 values are holding very strong in my area. There are also not many in the used market these days. There's another CPO 13 at the LR dealership that they are asking $47,900 for !!!!
Of course it only has 9700 miles on it and it's a Lux....and it's perfect.

But dang that's only about $6k-$7k less than they are asking for the CPO 16 models.....:eek:

In my case, I have to have a 12 or 13 model.

Anyway, I don't know. I will probably walk and keep my eyes open. Something will pop up where all the stars will be aligned.

Hopefully it'll happened before I get sidetracked by something else again....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut