Quick question, hopefully quick answer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I lied, 2 questions. First question...is the start/stop battery only utilized for the start/stop features once the engine is running or is it also used to actually start the vehicle every time you get in it to start it? Second question...do I need to hook up two separate trickle-type charges (NOCO, Battery Tender, Griots, etc...) to keep them both maintained or does the start/stop battery feed off the larger main battery somehow? Meaning, just one trickle charger to the main battery will also keep the start/stop battery topped off as well.

Thanks!

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the start stop battery is there to keep the electronics powered so that the cranking battery doesn't get drained and leave you stranded. I would put the charger on the cranking battery and ignore the start/stop one - worst that happens is you don't get start/stop functionality until it recharges once the truck turns on. You should be able to check voltage at the start/stop battery and determine whether it will get charged from the cranking battery or not, measure with the truck off, charger unplugged, and see if you spot a change once you plug the charger in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99