Battery rundown protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a voltage where the LR4 brain will stop turning on the door lights and booting up the dash to conserve power to start the engine? I don't have a battery issue, but I'm camping around it and opening the door seems like it costs a lot of battery drain.

MYzbZzM.jpg

I bought a Battery Tender Jr, but it sucked for my use case because I don't have 24hrs to top up. Its only 800ma of power. My Lifepo4 DIY pack has a 60A charger that also does lead acid so I stuck it on there. The idea is to conserve gas and the starter long-term, not sure if I need to do that but coming from a Chevy Volt I need to charge something. I've also been stranded several times out in BFE with a dead battery so it really isn't OCD lol.

hYiC8ui.jpg

That charger is made in the USA and its actually built for the RV market but it will do AGM, Lifepo4 and lead acid. I need to rig up a way to just plugin without opening the hood. I had an idea to run lines off the battery to an Anderson connector or some smaller connector that way I can charge w/out the hood opening.

Back to the original question, is there any intelligence to manage a low battery condition?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that battery AGM? Searching for LR104508 doesn't indicate if it is AGM. I might have the charger set wrong. I thought it was lead acid but I don't see the fill caps and starting to think its AGM.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle has to have all the doors closed for it to go to sleep.

Do need the lights to work in the LR4?
You can use a battery disconnect that has a remote fob.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_180529_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_180529_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 18

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about my battery when I camp and go on trips. I always carry a Noco lithium jump starter. Have the Noco GB40. They make bigger ones too.

Have never had any issues camping. I did however come home from work a few months ago to a dead car. Jumped it, replaced the battery the next day, and all was good.

I also upgraded to the slightly larger H8 AGM battery. Tighter fit but it still fits.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't fully latch one of the doors that you don't commonly use it will prevent the system from waking up if you open another door. Eventually the car goes to sleep even if that one door isn't fully latched.

Also there are hood mounted solar panels, lensun and Cascadia4x4 to name two.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't fully latch one of the doors that you don't commonly use it will prevent the system from waking up if you open another door. Eventually the car goes to sleep even if that one door isn't fully latched.

Also there are hood mounted solar panels, lensun and Cascadia4x4 to name two.

Never realized that. The "entire system waking up every time the door is open" has been a topic of discussion regarding the new Defender, and how it can drain the battery if you keep re-entering the vehicle at a remote campsite.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press and hold the center button on the overhead console until the interior lights flash. You have now just disabled the interior lights coming on with the opening of a door.
Press and hold again to enable.

Some old habits die hard…. I always shut off all accessories prior to shutting down the engine. (yes, that includes the infotainment screen).
I always press and release the start button to power up the ignition system (waiting for all chimes to subside), then press brake and touch the button again. Then, enable the accessories I need.

I don’t seem to have these many depleted battery issues that others seem to have. In fact, on the jag, she can sit for 3 months in the garage and start up without issue. On the LR4 I sit on the tail gate sipping an espresso in the rain or serve a picnic. No issues.

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the new Defender they need to evolve the system and add a city/country mode. It is convenient to get inside and have it already booting up with the lights on, but that isn't practical when camping.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press and hold the center button on the overhead console until the interior lights flash. You have now just disabled the interior lights coming on with the opening of a door.
Press and hold again to enable.

Some old habits die hard…. I always shut off all accessories prior to shutting down the engine. (yes, that includes the infotainment screen).
I always press and release the start button to power up the ignition system (waiting for all chimes to subside), then press brake and touch the button again. Then, enable the accessories I need.

I don’t seem to have these many depleted battery issues that others seem to have. In fact, on the jag, she can sit for 3 months in the garage and start up without issue. On the LR4 I sit on the tail gate sipping an espresso in the rain or serve a picnic. No issues.

The depleted battery issues are purportedly from those who go camping, park their vehicle, then open and close a door several times over the night (or however long they are camped in one spot) to access different things they need without starting the vehicle and letting it charge. If it were just the dome lights, that's one thing. Replace them with LED and run them all night. But every time you open an Land Rover door, it fires up all the ECUs, computers, and other sensors, regardless of what you think you've turned off. That issue has only gotten more pronounced with as Land Rovers have gotten newer.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder if anyone has looked at the electrical diagram to trace out the common wire for all the door switches? Maybe have a switch that opens the circuit while camping and the doors opening or closing wouldn't matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72