Battery rundown protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't fully latch one of the doors that you don't commonly use it will prevent the system from waking up if you open another door. Eventually the car goes to sleep even if that one door isn't fully latched.

Also there are hood mounted solar panels, lensun and Cascadia4x4 to name two.
This does not seem to be the way mine works. I've had my doors open for days (hooked up to a battery trickle charger) to dry things out after the sunroof drains and/or windshield cowl allowed water in. If I open or close any of the doors, even after hours with them open, the thing seems to wake up: relays can be heard, the puddle lights all light up, etc.

So yes, it eventually goes to sleep, but I think the goal here is to stop it from waking everything all the time?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped Lensun with the very first LR3/LR4 hood solar panel fitment. The first panel was off by a lot hitting the spray nozzles. The first one that fit correctly, I still had to dremel the nozzle holes. Anyhow, that $400 hood solar panel slowly died under a year and completely died 1.5 years later. I was offered a 30% discount on a replacement when I first reported it. I said all that to say, don't get the Lensun version.

I ended up relocating my spray nozzles to the wiper arms and fitted a cheap $75 Amazon special on top of the broken Lensun panel on the hood. Looks clean enough and it works. Don't mind my dirty truck.
I have had the Cascadia version for about 2.5 years. Naturally, just outside the 2-year warranty, I noticed some areas where it almost looks like parts of individual cells have broken under the plastic. It appears as almost "bubbles" or swells, and if you poke at it you can kind of feel what seems like shards of glass moving against one another. I contacted Cascadia about it and they are offering me a replacement at cost.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This does not seem to be the way mine works. I've had my doors open for days (hooked up to a battery trickle charger) to dry things out after the sunroof drains and/or windshield cowl allowed water in. If I open or close any of the doors, even after hours with them open, the thing seems to wake up: relays can be heard, the puddle lights all light up, etc.

So yes, it eventually goes to sleep, but I think the goal here is to stop it from waking everything all the time?
I noticed similar last night as I was getting started on my LCA replacement - I left the rear door unlatched, and when I opened the driver's door I heard the fuel pump prime things. The radio doesn't come on though (no logo displayed on the screen) and I don't think the instrument panel woke up, but it definitely didn't stay asleep. I will try and see if I get similar from opening the passenger side, it might be special logic for the driver's door...

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been opening a frequently used door and then latching it with my finger. Doing that enables the door to be open and mostly shut with the ground light off and the system goes back to sleep. Luckily the designers were thinking about battery draw when they wired the rear hatch and tailgate buttons. When I open/close either one the computer doesn't need to boot up and light up the displays.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made improvements to the charger for the starter battery by picking up some alligator clips and wiring. Its a lot easier to connect/disconnect the charger. I'd like to hard wire an Anderson connector to the battery and fasten it in the big space on the front passenger side. There was a post the other day emphasizing to use a body ground. The alligator clips don't work well with the negative post and I tried looking for a body ground but didn't see one in the area and all the metal parts were painted. Does anyone ground to the body when doing jumps or charging? Where do you connect the ground?

iPD7BS4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72