Rack suggestion...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3_hannibal_rack-16.gif

(crappy cell phone image):
iPhone-011-800.gif

swr

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I like the quick release setup on the hannibal...

But that brings up a question... weight tolerances. RackAttack and other sites say that the Thule/Yakima racks can support up to 168lbs... great for bikes, canoes, etc. But once you throw a Yakima basket on there (50lbs) or a hannibal (even more lbs) it would seem you have less than 100lbs left for "stuff".

How closely are you following the weight guidelines? How are people camping/standing/etc on the racks?

Am I missing something? Or are the weight limits just written by lawyers and not engineers...

Last edited:

swr

Reaction score
Ignore. dup. can't seem to delete.

Last edited:

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a canoe or Kayak you might want to check out the Thule Hullivator. Unfortunately it only works with Thule's cross bars that extend out past the tracks.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I like the quick release setup on the hannibal...

But that brings up a question... weight tolerances. RackAttack and other sites say that the Thule/Yakima racks can support up to 168lbs... great for bikes, canoes, etc. But once you throw a Yakima basket on there (50lbs) or a hannibal (even more lbs) it would seem you have less than 100lbs left for "stuff".

How closely are you following the weight guidelines? How are people camping/standing/etc on the racks?

Am I missing something? Or are the weight limits just written by lawyers and not engineers...

Well, my Hannibal rack doesn't weight much, it's all aluminum. I'm not sure it's 50lbs, probably less is my guess. I have stood on the installed rack, and I weigh 300 lbs, so it seems pretty strong. I just did a week long off road trek through Utah, and the rack was pretty heavily loaded. I would guesstimate that I had about 200 lbs on the roof, and it was okay. I think the weight limit is more for tipping and center of gravity than for maximum structural load, but I could be completely wrong.

swr

Reaction score
Thanks for the info/experience...

You have the hannibal designed for the LR3 correct? How did you mount it to the Thule?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info/experience...

You have the hannibal designed for the LR3 correct? How did you mount it to the Thule?

In the 3rd and 4th picture, you can see the thumbscrews and a flat clamp bar? THe 4th picture shows it best. The 3rd picture also has the horizontal support bar that is part of the rack, right next to my Thule load bar so it's more confusing. The Hannibal rack is designed with aluminum slates, with channels in the top and bottom that receive a metric sized nut (M10?). I slotted in two nuts, and used Yakima (I think?) thumbscrews and pressure bar to cinch it down. Very simple.

Someone else asked me about taking the rack on and off. I only put the rack on when I am going offroad on weekend trips, which is only once a month or so. It usually is not installed, so taking it on and off is important to me. Here is my response:

It's very easy to take on and off with the Thule or Yakima pylon mounting system. I have my wife step on the rear tire or the rock sliders on one side of the truck, and then from behind I lift it up, and slide it forward until she grabs it and then I go around to the other side and together we lower into place. Takes about 2 minutes on and off. I am pretty tall (6'-7"), so you might need to have two step stools handy, one for each side.

It can't be done with one person because of the size. It's not too heavy, but it's long and awkward to hoist up there alone without dinging the glass roof.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis