radio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey zingale

Reaction score
I have a 97 discovery with factory AM/FM cassette with factory CD changer. There is also the sub woofer in the back.
My problem is that the radio comes on, but very, very little sound. I am able to hear some comming form the far back, sub woofer area, but not near enough to listen to or even make out what is playing. All speakers are hooked up, the fuse in the amp is good. I am getting an err code when i switch to CD mode, but that is not a big deal at this time.
My question is, what is the best way to narrow down my trouble shooting? Is there a way to by-pass the amp?
If anybody has any pointers, please let me know.
Thanks!!!

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there's (3) radio options, with the cd you're either mid or premium.

there's amps in the doors for door speakers, don't know if they're fused seperately.

I'd unplug your cd changer (the din plug) & see if that affects the radio.

pull the covers off the speakers & gently move the center of the cones in & out.
(my Range rovers were locked up)

I believe the head only sends a low level signal to the amps

I've replaced both of my systems with newer stuff

luck,greg

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have blown your output transistors. You are listening to your preamp :) You will need someone who can handle a soldering iron and look at a board to identify the output transistors. If he's good he can fix it without a schematic. If you don't think I know what I'm talking about... go here: http://www.k1000.net/ I'm the David Brown mentioned throughout the site. Problem with doing it yourself is that you need to have a "bench" where all the outputs can be connected to a "load". Running an amplifier into no load will burn out the transistors. Which begs the question. Did you pull / disconect any output wires anywhere while the radio was running full blast? Don't work ON the radio or speakers or wires while the radio is running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo