Random onset of shudder/shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M5Z3M

Reaction score
Update:
When checked with a laser/IR thermometer immediately after a shudder episode, the right rear rotor was about 100 degrees hotter than the other three, suggesting something was hanging up, so I bought a new caliper, new rotor, new flex hoses, new pads and new parking brake shoes. (I learned from a 1990 Lexus LS400 with a brake hangup that piecemeal replacement can be a false economy.)
Mechanic found that the pivot pin on one side of the parking brake shoes was stiff almost to the point of seizure. Loosening it has eliminated the shudder, and the ride is noticeably smoother. Mechanic decided against installing the new parking shoes since the shoe surfaces, surprisingly, were barely worn. He did install the new caliper, rotor and pads. Still a mystery what was causing the parking shoe to move into contact with the rotor.
Thanks to all for input at the beginning of this thread.
M5Z3M

Travis

Reaction score
M5Z3M,

Thanks for the update. I'm still experiencing the "shudder/shake" periodically. It almost feels like the road is really rough (when it's not) or that a few of the wheel lugnuts are loose which they are not. This doesn't happen all the time. I can drive 15 miles and it doesn't occur, but every once in a while it will for 1/2 mile or more.

As I mentioned in my previous post a few weeks ago, I replaced my rear rotors and pads and made sure the slides and pins were lubricated well because the passenger side was worn to the rotor (while the drivers rear was fine). After that I am still experiencing the shudder at speed.

My passenger rear brake disk also feels hotter (to the touch, not measured) than the others. I will look at the pivot pin on the parking brake shoe to see if it is stiff like you said.

BTW, I usually use my parking brake whenever I park (now it's out of habit). I wonder if using it regularly is worse and causes more wear. I bet most people with LR4s do not use the parking brake. Do you use yours often M5Z3M?

M5Z3M

Reaction score
Travis:
I think you’re describing the same problem I had. Elevated temp on that rotor appears to have been caused by friction between the parking shoe and the inside of the rotor “top hat.” Mine was discolored on the exterior of the top hat. My shudder would follow no clear pattern of triggers, such as use of the parking brake. I don’t use the brake unless I’m parked on a slope. (BTW it can’t serve as an emergency brake because as far as I can tell it won’t activate unless the vehicle is stationary.)
The ride is noticeably smoother now after the shoe work. I too had been convinced that my local roads had a slight washboard surface, but now they’re smooth.
I’d definitely recommend you check the parking shoes and make sure the pin that joins the two halves is free and not seized. Mechanic said mine was corroded (hard winters here in Upstate NY).
I hope this helps.
M5Z3M

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut