Rear Diff worries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

super_poser

I changed the oil in my diffs this weekend. The rear diff fluid looked like it had brass colored bits in it. I rubbed it between my fingers and it did not feel like metal or anything. I was in a lot of water a couple of weeks ago so could it be water?? (hope hope) I stuck my finger in the drain hole, rubbed around and did not feel any shavings in the bottom. Any ideas? Charles

Roverhound

Reaction score
What year is your Disco?
Some wear is to be expected in the differentials. Do you hear any gear whine?
Do you have traction control? That will cause extra wear on the diffs which is a good reason to add a center diff lock if you have a d2. It'll cut down on the amount that traction control is hit on tremendously as well as disabling it completely if you start the engine with it engaged.
You probably don't have anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on it. If a ring and pinion is on it's way out there's really not much you can do about it anyway.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no brass colored parts inside, so you most likely just had oil that was dilluted with water and some grease washed off from bearings. I'd repack bearings if i were you - its very simple, but will make them happy.

D

discomike

Charles,
Do you have a magnetic drain plud, if so what did it look like, if you don't, get one.
If you are going to be running water, plan on changing it more often. Although Walter says some what is to be expected in the diff, you can prevent most of it, raise your vent tubes.
Are you running lockers, what year is your truck and have you thought about synthetic or GL6 rated 140 wt. oil to help the cause?
Mike J.

S

super_poser

Its a 1994 Discovery with 155000 miles on it. I am running 90w oil. I repacked the bearings. I don't think that it is a magnetic drain plug. Like I say I did not feel any shavings or lumps in the oil when I rubbed it between my fingers. I have heard that when you get water in there it causes the fluid to get milky. Mabey milkey is a subjective thing.( milky, brass colored, funky looking) I had a vent line clogged a while back and I wonder if it got some condensation in there from that. Charles

D

discomike

Buy yourself some drain plugs, they will help you keep the wear down by holding that fine metal goo that will wear everythin over time.
Try one for your t/case also.
Mike J.

Roverhound

Reaction score
The d2 came with magnetic plugs. You could source those.
Water in the diff will not turn the oil amber, it will look milky so it doesn't sound like that. Could be the oil was just old.
Whatever weight you use, I would stick to synthetic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9