Rear Entertainment DVD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done quiet a bit of searching on the topic, but surprisingly I haven't found much...

I purchased an 06 LR3 SE7 V8 a week or two ago, but it doesn't have the rear entertainment. I have a two-year-old and another baby arriving in October, so I would really like to get a DVD player installed. Has anyone had a DVD player installed or installed one on their own? What do you guys suggest? I noticed that the rear air controls on the headliner might get in the way of an aftermarket DVD player; is that a concern? If not, I could probably just take it to a local shop here that does DVD systems, right? I did see some DVD install kits on Ebay, but they don't sell a screen, just the brackets and wires (apparently). Anyway, any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, I definitely want the overhead flip-down DVD player so that it is easily visible by everyone in the back (including the 3rd row).

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know, I just picked up a 7" sony motorized unit for $80 off of ebay. I also got a $12 car dvd player about a year ago that works fine once the screen arrives I plan on removing the rear cupholder tray from the console and mounting the dvd player there. I should be able to pick up sound and 12v at the aux panel. So I'll just have to route video to the monitor and use the dome light for 12v up there.

There is an install video on crutchfield.com that kind of take some guess work out of it. The only real concer is if the flat space will be big enough on the headliner.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, I definitely want the overhead flip-down DVD player so that it is easily visible by everyone in the back (including the 3rd row).

I specifically didn't want an overhead flip down, but obviously to each their own! I went with headrest LCDs which are quite visible from the third row, assuming the center seat in the second row isn't occupied - from the third row, you actually look across the vehicle (ie, 3rd row right is looking at 2nd row left) and can see the screens clearly. I did a quick write up on the process; here's the link:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14166

I should be able to pick up sound and 12v at the aux panel. So I'll just have to route video to the monitor and use the dome light for 12v up there.

12V is available at the cigarette lighter/adapter point just beside the aux panel - if you're careful, you can probably tap it without removing the center console area, though I'd remove it just to get a feel for what's down there. I like your idea of using the cup holders as a spot for a DVD player - I've found the actual cup holders to be relatively useless...

Having had my screens in place for the last nine months, the only complaint I have is useability with kids - great if you're just popping a DVD in and they have "auto-play" or whatever enabled on the disc, but if you need to address a menu, it's nice to have a front screen so that the passenger can assist with a remote; currently I'm packing a bunch of DVDs onto SD cards which works well, but does require that a user select items from a menu.

I have Pioneer AVIC-F500 (~200 or less on eBay) flush mounted were the stock NAV unit goes, and will hook this up as an aux monitor for this purpose when I get a chance (the unit happens to have both rear monitor and aux-video inputs, so I should be able to look at each rear screen seperately as they both have full media players).

Otherwise, a great way to keep the kid(s) entertained. Currently only my 3 year old is using the system as the 3 month old is obviously too young, not to mention facing the wrong way - we just did a 14 hour round trip (that was closer to 20 hours with stops for the baby!) and the system got a pretty decent work out!

aleby

Reaction score
Rear dvd headrests

Hello
Maybe have a look at the ones i had installed,they are very good quality at a very good price all wireless headphones & wireless game controllers also with FM transfitters

Regards

Albey

Attachments

• DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 158

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey aleby . . . how 'bout some more info . . . those look pretty nice!

gtc . . . VERY through - good info - thanks!

aleby

Reaction score
rear dvd entertainment

Hello David,

Please tell me what you would like to know ?

They are X2 dvd players & the dvds go behind the screens,they was installed with a master & a *****,so 1 dvd can be viewed on both screens.

At a push of the AV button they are back to separate player so 1 can play a film or the other can play games or vise versa.

They come with security zip up covers which is super as you dont even know they are in there.

Package is 2 headrests,2 wireless headphones,2 wireless game controllers & 2 dvds with games on.

You can connect ps2,xbox to them also and freeview which i will be getting installed next month.

I had all of the above installed for £469.00 which i thought was fantastic & they came to my house & my children are over the moon with them as the sound & picture quality is excellent.

If i can assist in anymore information for you please let me know.

Regards Aleby

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, pro install, yes?

I believe aleby mentioned that he had an installer to the work, but you can DIY with a single set of allen keys as your only real tool. Since the headrests come as a single unit, all you need are a few wire taps and a bit of patience.

I've since gone a little farther on mine and actually now have a touch screen lcd (Pioneer AVIC, now about ~$150 or less) that allows touch control over an ipod that drives video to the rear; it's actually relatively slick and handy since my kids are pretty young and can't yet reach the LCDs in headrest to start/stop the movies. I had been using the remote to get things going, but found it was a bit awkward from the front. It does mean that I no longer cross link the LCDs (each had their own DVD/SD players, and the inputs from one were hooked to the outputs from another), but I suspect it's a small price to pay to put the control on the LCD in the front of the truck...

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the Pioneer f500 install? Was it a perfect fit for the cubby up top on the SE? Looking to add this to operate future dvd screen and backup camera.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635