Rear hatch switch not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pceresia

Reaction score
I've been annoyed by the rear glass opening function on both my 2010 and now my 2016 LR4. The fob button releases the first phase of the unlock/opening process remotely but it appears there is a second stage, possibly a safety feature like on the hood (this feature on the hood makes sense but not so much on the rear glass), which precludes the rear glass from actually completing the opening cycle without manual intervention. This is really annoying and inconvenient.
Has anyone attempted to remove/disable the second stage latch which precludes automatic opening? I guess the next question then would be are the 2 lift pistons strong enough to pop the glass up and if not could they be strengthened?
Any thoughts?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. To clarify the rubber button on top glass portion of hatch does not do anything when i press it. Normally you would stand beside it, reach under and press upwards to unlock the top glass. It no longer responds, however, I can still open the top portion pressing the trunk button on the FOB while pulling up on the glass.

The lower tail gate button still works; everything is normal there.
Okay, that makes sense.
So in your case, the FOB is the *only* way you can access the back.

Ugh. Sorry, can't help there but I'd agree it just sounds like a mechanical issue at the button. I think your short option is a good test.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the youtube video of cutting off the switch and attaching a new one. Before I try that, i'm going to cut off the old switch and see if I can short the two wires to try and unlock the top portion.

If we're talking about the same video (by powerfuluk), then the tip he gave *before* clipping the wires was to thoroughly clean the switch mechanism. He said that sometimes some gunk accumulates in that paddle area. Unless the contacts or supporting mechanicals have been broken or worn down, that seems like a high percentage play since the switch is so simple. You can always clip the wires as a next step.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there’s no power to the switch, it might be the switch. If you press it and hear it activating but the tailgate won’t open, could be mechanical. Mine was doing the later, and spraying the mechanisms with silicone oil (wd40 silicone) made it work like new again

ShadowRanger

Reaction score
Are the side clips and removal process the same for 2010 and later LR4s as it is for the LR3? Is the handle/switch essentially unchanged?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM