Rear locking differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta go with Boaz (Scott) on this one. My display sometimes has one locked, somtimes the other and sometimes both; which refutes what Indy said. Besides, I've known those guys to be plenty full-of-it from time to time. There is more knowledge collectively on this board than what those guys have.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta go with Boaz (Scott) on this one. My display sometimes has one locked, somtimes the other and sometimes both; which refutes what Indy said.

Well, Indy said they turn red concurrently if you don't have the optional LRD... I didn't ask him what the padlocks do if you do have rear lockers - and I fully agree with all of you that they do turn green and red independently of each other when you off road, as they should, if you have it.

Oh well, all those icons and jumping wheels on the 4x4 Info are overrated anyway, the novelty wears off quickly (like yelling "Navigation, I'm hungry", who does that, really?) and I usually don't ever use that screen when off-road, I just keep it on navigation and to be honest I still haven't figured out how the bread crumbs thingie works... I am just not so sure that a rear padlock icon that turns red while off-roading automatically means you have LRD in your car. :hmmmm2:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah who knows...I think we've beaten it to death though.

The info screen can be helpful sometimes, but it may be overrated. I THINK that if you want to drop breadcrumbs you have to be in off-road mode and under guidance. Sort of a drawback, to me...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of locking rear differential, this TSB is hot off the press.

NAS TSB No: LTB00200
Issue: 1
Date: 02 FEB 2009

DTC P186D Stored in Rear Differential Control Module -
Repair Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000360 - Onwards Model Year: 2005 - Onwards
Range Rover (LM) VIN: 7A239036 - Onwards Model Year: 2007 - Onwards
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 - Onwards Model Year: 2006 - Onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P186D may be stored in the rear differential control module along with the warning message 'Transmission Fault Stop Safely' displayed and suspension lowering occurring. This may be caused by a mis-reading of the rear differential actuator motor feedback sensor.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to reconfigure the rear differential control module.
PARTS:
No parts necessary; information only
TOOLS:
Latest IDS DVD; software first available on IDS DVD116 Patch File 4
Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez...onwards of 000360 means almost all of them around here!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72