Rear spare tire carrier

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Shredahead, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Philly

Philly New Member

Do you still have the rims and tires?

2. elixir911

elixir911 New Member

Yes. I have four OEM 18" LR3 wheels mounted with minimally used (300 miles) Blizzacs, and a fifth on the OEM wheel on the carrier. I do not recall what tire is on the carrier but believe it is a near new Goodyear Silent Armor. Hope that helps.

3. Shredahead

Shredahead Well-Known Member

Philly, I still have the wheels and tires. I sent you a PM.

4. Red Lightning

Red Lightning Full Access Member

Elixir - could you post pics of the tire carrier you have? Thanks!

5. elixir911

elixir911 New Member

Hi. I will take a photo this weekend. I am in Idaho so, unless you are nearby, shipping could be costly. It is quite heavy. If i cannot figure how to post photo on the forum, i can send it to your em address. Look for it this weekend. Thanks for the inquiry.

6. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

Yes it should work on an lr3 exactly the same. They didn’t change any frame or bumper metal that I’ve heard of and in this case, you have to cut the plastic cover anyway.

Rasta still exists though, contact them to see if same item was spec to both Lr/4

7. ishapiro

ishapiro New Member

Rasta definitely still exists and seems to be doing quite well. I personally visited their factory in Israel about 6 months ago. Got their tire carrier for my 2012 LR4. Waiting to be installed soon. Just too busy with other stuff. I am pretty sure it is exactly the same sku as lr3 but will double check my records later.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

jwest likes this.
  8. elixir911

elixir911 New Member

Thank you for the reply . I will post some photos this weekend. It is a very solid and well designed item, plus it looked great on my LR3.

9. to8nbeyond

to8nbeyond Full Access Member

Has anyone found something like this? I was hoping to find something that wasn’t permanent or that required mods to the bumper. I don’t anticipate the spare being a problem generally around town but as others have said regardless of departure angles, I just wouldn’t want to have to struggle getting an oversized spare out on a trail. The lowest maintenance idea is to just throw it in the back but something like this seems like a decent option.

https://www.leonardaccessories.com/...rriers-tiregate-hitchgate-wilco-hitch-mounted

This looks like it has more potential.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  10. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

Pause and consider the logic here...

If you are driving where you may need easy access to spare because underneath is hard to access, how is the receiver not going to be a huge liability hanging low back there and with a big item sticking out of it?

Risky plan for off roading. In this case might as well strap it down in cargo area.