Rear suspension chatter or flap - video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm not as technically inclined as some of the other forum members I thought I'd ask for help. My rear suspension is making a chatter or flapping noise when driving over cracks, potholes or bumps in the road. My D3 is currently with the dealer and they cannot identify the problem. I think it's tied directly to the suspension, it also, as you can imagine, creates a lot of interior noise. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Video: YouTube - Video 4

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear what they tell you! Cool video btw.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice vid. Sure it's not just a heat shield somewhere rattling upon certain types of impacts? That would be a best/easiest scenario.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...what does it sound like from inside the cabin?

Not sure but this could just be a loose do-dad too....there is a lot of crap going to that hub. The brake pad wear sensor, and something else too that I'm not sure what it is but is in the same vicinity. This sounded more like a rattle to me like something loose clanging around down there.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say loose heat shield.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got $20 on a loose swaybar bushing.

Cool Video - what did you use to mount the camera? Thanks, -Doug

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll bring them up to my dealer. I initially thought the noise inside the cabin was from the panels, but after I rode in the back and had someone else drive the vehicle I can tell the noise is coming from the rear suspension. I taped a Flip Mino player to one of my old right handed hockey sticks - on the blade. I put a towel on the right rear window sill and held the stick outside the window, pointed the blade downwards towards the wheel and drove over a few bumps that always create the noise. I then burned a disc with the videos and showed the dealer before I left. They've been trying to identify the noise for 3 days and say they cannot reproduce it. The problem is that I live in downtown and the suburban roads have barely any irregular pavement issues. I hear the noise about 20 times in a 10 minute commute. I am determined to find out what the problem is because it's driving me nuts. Additional videos below:

YouTube - Video 6

YouTube - Video 5

YouTube - Video 8

YouTube - Video 7

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...so now a question to those out there that have changed a bunch of bushings (or rather had them changed under warranty)...is this the sound you were hearing?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to bet bushings as well. It sounds like an annoying rattle inside the cabin. Just had both upper and lowers replaced, as well as the lower control arm itself, as there had been so much corrosion that the new bushings would not seat in the control arms.

workingclass

Reaction score
I feel your pain jjvd21. My 05 sounds exactly the same. The dealer told me the dirty rubber stoppers on the back hatch and flexing are to blame.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99