Rear suspension chatter or flap - video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with the fix - great use of the Flip MinoHD!

I've been doing some test work with this tiny HD camcorder, for recording on-car action using a rubber suction cup mount from Delkin. (It's a little more secure than the hockey stick!)

Here's a test run on the LR3: LR3 Flip MinoHD Test

Here's the same camera and mount on a 911: 911 Flip MinoHD Test

And here's the same set-up used off-road in Sedona AZ on the trail to Devil's Bridge: Off-Road Flip MinoHD Test

So far so good - loving the quality and flexibility to use this tiny video camera on my vehicles. :biggrin:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideas. I've had my front bushings replaced, and it does immediately improve the noise and feel of the front of the D3. The dealer is telling me that the rear bushings are tight and they aren't the problem. Since I haven't had the rears replaced I'm sure that they are causing some of the noise. I've got 25,000 miles on a '05 HSE by the way. I also have the arb shims in place, was done at last service in November. This also reduced the noise a little. As it relates to the rear top tailgate plastic guides causing noise, dealer has greased mine and it did reduce overall rear noise by 5%....nothing of significance. So I am stuck for now, dealer is telling me that they cannot reproduce the noise even though they have video evidence and the technician said he heard it on our test drive when I dropped off the D3. While I suspect it's rear bushings causing the overall rear jumble and internal noise, that metal flapping noise from the rear wheels on the video must be something different. We'll see......

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...does or did the front (bushings) sound like this as well? Or is it a distinctly different sound?

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideas. I've had my front bushings replaced, and it does immediately improve the noise and feel of the front of the D3. The dealer is telling me that the rear bushings are tight and they aren't the problem.

If you can mount the Flip under the vehicle, or in the wheel arch looking at the suspension - you may be able to capture picture and/or sound that more clearly identifies the location for them.

This was something I was considering for off-road video shots, as a cut-away from the usual terrain stuff.

Should be possible - as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrH4l_zt2Y

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front bushing knock was noticable when traveling over small bumps or the driveway lip. One way the dealer tested the front was to move at crawl speed - 1 mph and slam or pump hard the brakes. You could immediately feel a knock - like the body of the D3 was slamming into the chassis. Dealer said the bushings were worn. When replaced this went away. Front was a different sound, because my rear suspension moves around you can hear it much more in the cabin than when the front knocked. I like the idea of putting the Flip Mino player under the car to look at the suspension, but it's with the dealer....

Given the amount of people that have bushings, arb shims, ball joints replaced, I think LR should package a "Suspension Renewal Kit" and sell them at service. If they discounted all the parts and labor together I bet they would get some takers. Once they put the above referenced new parts in its like driving a new D3....

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain jjvd21. My 05 sounds exactly the same. The dealer told me the dirty rubber stoppers on the back hatch and flexing are to blame.

Wow. Someone should make a list of LR Service Adviser comments like this.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jvd21 it's funny you mention the 1 mph brake-slamming effect....that happened to me TODAY! I was pulling into a parking spot and did that (not a normal thing for me to do, but...) I noticed it knocked.

I still feel like my LR3 always did this though, but maybe not to this extent or as frequently as it does now. So yeah...I guess I'm due for bushings in the front. I suppose that now it should be much easier to reproduce this knock than it ever was before and hopefully LR will be cool and fix it under (extended) warranty.

I still don't like the idea of them taking **** apart and putting it back together, but...maybe it's worth it....don't want those components to be "un-bushed" while I'm out driving 'cause that mechanical interference can't be good for the A-arms.

I think this can wait for the next service interval though...probably in about 3 months.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this format maybe. Unfortunately LR service advisers are not this funny:

Airplane maintenance
"Squawks" are problem listings that pilots generally leave for maintenance crews to fix before the next flight. Here are some squawks submitted by US Air Force pilots and the replies from the maintenance crews.

(P) = Problem (S) = Solution

(P) Left inside main tire almost needs replacement
(S) Almost replaced left inside main tire

(P) Test flight OK, except autoland very rough
(S) Autoland not installed on this aircraft

(P) #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid
(S) #2 Propeller seepage normal - #1 #3 and #4 propellers lack normal seepage

(P) Something loose in cockpit
(S) Something tightened in cockpit

(P) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear
(S) Evidence removed

(P) DME volume unbelievably loud
(S) Volume set to more believable level

(P) Dead bugs on windshield
(S) Live bugs on order

(P) Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent
(S) Cannot reproduce problem on ground

(P) IFF inoperative
(S) IFF always inoperative in OFF mode (IFF-Identification Friend or Foe)

(P) Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick
(S) That's what they're there for

(P) Number three engine missing
(S) Engine found on right wing after brief search

(P) Aircraft handles funny
(S) Aircraft warned to straighten up, "fly right" and be serious

(P) Target Radar hums
(S) Reprogrammed Target Radar with the lyrics​

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in the industry...that's some funny $hit. Thanks for posting that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4