Rear wheel carrier latch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
What's that between the tire and the tailgate? Was about tho order this same one. Thanks!
It's a 15 gallon fuel tank. It was made for a Jeep, but I made it fit the Terrafirma tire carrier with minimal mods. I flipped the Terrafirma mounting plate upside down and added a wheel adapter to change it from 5x5 to 5x120. Works great with an external fuel pump too, even though it's 1 gpm, it sure beats holding a 5 gallon jerry can up in the air for 10 minutes.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'Day Bronco1, From the three alternatives you mentioned, disregard the Voyager entirely - I reckon they are rubbish. I've compared all three with my Kaymar unit & believe the Terrafirma is the only one
to come anywhere near the Kaymar for durability, strength & latch quality.
The Kaymar unit replaces the complete OE rear bumper with an all-steel bar & the strongest wheel
mounting I've seen yet. I guess it all depends on how much serious rough-roading you're going to do.
I've seen professionally made rear wheel mounts separate from a vehicle at speed on rough tracks.
Vibration is the killer of poorly designed/made mounts. The Kaymar isn't cheap - probably the most
expensive, but in my opinion is the best by far. It also mounts the wheel further outboard so the rear
camera still provides a good field on vision. A high-lift jack can be fitted without modification, plus
other gear bags etc. Two main reasons to fit a rear wheel mount is:- ease of accessing the spare in
a muddy or rocky situation, and allows the fitting of a 110 liter aux. fuel tank - more than doubling
the range of the vehicle.
Kaymar will freight to the U.S.A. Everything fits perfectly. They'll supply new rear park sensors & mud
flaps. It seriously strengthens the rear of the vehicle - no plastic at all & looks great as well.
They've been in business for well over 30 years & have a great reputation here in Oz. Check out their

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'Day Bronco1, Latch is fine. It's very firm to use which it should be as any play or
movement causes vibration & wear. It cinches up very snugly & there's NO vibration
on the most corrugated roads we get in the outback. The overall design & construction
of the rear bumper & wheel mount is superb - developed over 30 years of constant
production & upgrades. The Kaymar unit is popular here with D4 owners as it enables
an aux. tank to be installed. Right now my 2 tanks are a Godsend with the price of fuel
skyrocketing due to the war. I won't need to fill up for at least a month.
Yes, sometimes it's a PITA when access to the rear hatch is needed frequently, but the
pro's outweigh the con's I reckon. No complaints.
I'm not sure if Kaymar currently has a U.S. distributor, but they ship a lot of product to
individual buyers there. Maybe call them for a quote. FYI I paid full price for all my gear.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you snap a picture of the latch? I looked at the Kaymar site and didn't find pictures of the D3/D4 application (the pictures in the installation instructions don't really show that much)

Bronco1

Reaction score
The question I have with the Kaymar is, does it really block the right tail light?? If it does, then it’s a nonstarter for me.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'Day Bronco1. Yes, the Kaymar mount does mainly cover the RHS lights, BUT the Kaymar
rear steel bumper has great lights - tail, brake. indicator & reversing, recessed in the bumper, plus new rear park warning sensors & mud flaps. It's a good looking bumper.
The advantage of having the mount as far as possible to the RHS is that the drivers rear vision is better & the rear camera still has a good field of view.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72