Rear wheel well taper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewpopovich

Reaction score
I have a 2006 LR3 and I am trying to find out why the rear wheel wells are tapered on the front side. The front wheel wells are smooth and uniform in size but the rears have this reduction in size. I am trying to put a set of BFG 265/65/18 tires on and avoid any rubbing. Has anyone dealt with this situation before?

Drew

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are entire threads on this, but the short answer, is the shape is to cover the rear A/C lines for cars so equipped. With that size, you should have no rubbing in the front in any condition, and you will have rubbing in the back on the bump in the place you mentioned, but only in an off-road "stuff" situation, or driving in access and hitting a bump. You could get the rub if you make a pretty fast turn from low speed as the body shifts before DSC catches on. Under extreme use, the area will eventually wear, and it may end up with a small area worn through, but do not fear, as the panel is meant to hide, and not necessarily waterproof, as it all drains out of the bottom anyway.
How can you avoid all of this? 1. don't do the tires, not the best option. 2. I suppose you could try to rengineer the panel. Frankly, I'd mount them and let it go. After 18K milles, I stil have at leat 1/2 the tread left, and I use the tires what they were made for.
My $.02

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just add 2" of lift in all modes for like 250-300 bucks

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...that would be fine accept I NEED Access mode to get into my parking garage!

...sucks when I forget!

drewpopovich

Reaction score
Thanks Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the response on this. It would have been nice for LR to make their models in a smaller wheel w/o having the hassle of changing the brakes, so that there are more choices when it comes to all terrain tires. I plan on only having the BFG's on when I am going off-road and use a standard tire for the street driving. You also mentioned that the BFG's aren't the greatest option. I have read a number of people going after the General Grabber or a Geolander. Do you have any experience with either one of these tires in an off-road mode?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those BFGs are probably your best option, especially if you are going to run them separate for off-road use. Many people are also using Cooper Zeon LTZ tires (including myself) in the same M.O. you mention. I have an HSE and have bought separate 18" rims for the Coopers. Otherwise I run Michelin Synchrones on my stock 19" wheels.

I've seen the Yok tire you mention and it looks like it would be a good multi-use tire; the tread pattern will get you some traction off-road but it looks like it compromises a bit so that the on-road traction would be improved.

The Coopers are quite aggressive for an A/T tire. They also handle surprisingly well on the road, but I still avoid it as I prefer the feel of the stock size and the Synchrones. The traction that the Zeons provide off-road is really good. The LR3 behaves like a different animal, IMO. They are wider so their footprint is bigger, and they really grip!

The BFG tires are well vetted at this point. They are a known commodity and are one of the all-around best tires you can buy. This is certainly true of their Mud Terrains and also for their All Terrains. I think the tread pattern is slightly less aggressive than the Cooper but again the brand's proven track record for durability and wear is second-to-none. You can't go wrong here.

Finally, there is one more option you could explore. Goodyear has finally started selling their Wrangler MT/R in a size that might fit on the LR3. It is, I think, a 275/65R18. That is going to be a bit tall at 32" but it might fit. There may be some rubbing there but not much. The Coopers I run are 285/60 so they are 31.45" in O.D. The MT/Rs would only be a half-inch bigger. I get no rubbing in the wheel well so you might be okay. The traction would be incredible!

I do get rubbing on my fender flares with my Coopers because I bought aftermarket rims with a little different offset than the stock LR rims. I bought them on cost not style....anyway rubbing issues are because of the tire width and the rim offset, not the outside diameter.

Hope that info helps.

Last edited:

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you avoid all of this? 1. don't do the tires, not the best option. Frankly, I'd mount them and let it go. After 18K milles, I stil have at leat 1/2 the tread left, and I use the tires what they were made for.
My $.02
Actually the meaning I intended was: Don't do the tires. NOT doing the BFG's is not the best option.
I Love those tires and never have regretted them. I highly reccommend them.
A near choice is the General Grabber AT2. It is available in the stock tire size, and has a very similiar tread to the BFG. One difference is that the BFG has a 3-ply sidewall, that is undeniably tough. I don't give 2nd though to the tires, but all else being equal, the AT2 is definitealy a player. Good reviews, I've yet to hear issues. wiht you space consideratins, I'd consider them.
P.S. I have Expidition Rack and the BFG's, and require Access to get in the garage. In access, I have about one thumb with to the garage header! I feel your pain.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635